• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Medal Index Cards on Ancestry

ColinB

gone but not forgotten
Ancestry have now got World War One Medal Index Cards available on line, they currently have 2.1 million names on the database, less than half the full number, so don't be too disheartened if the person you're searching for not there.

Colin

Medal Index Cards via Ancestry

Hi Colin B & thankyou for informing us of availability on Ancestry
to search for our WW 1 heroes medals,, (bless em :)

Cheers m8,, i shall begin search for my Wifes & mine GG/dads
Thanks again John Y :cool:

Ancestry have now got World War One Medal Index Cards available on line, they currently have 2.1 million names on the database, less than half the full number, so don't be too disheartened if the person you're searching for not there.

Colin

The important thing Ancestry have done with these is give you any info. on the reverse of the card which appears in a small minority of cases. The NA archive ones don't. Incidentally Ancestry digitalised the cards in the hands of the Western Front Association who inherited them to prevent their loss.

The Birmingham branch of the WFA meets monthly in Sutton Coldfield Town Hall. I have details if anyone is interested.

Alan post the details of the WFA they may get some more members.

Medal Cards on Ancestry

I have been looking for my dad's WW1 Medal Card today, I have his pension records and so far found details of 3 different regiments and 3 different service numbers. It is like the lottery, any tips for quicker searching?

Morning Terry, I list below details found so, all are the correct person.

No. 25757 William Wallace - enlisted 15th November 1915. Age given 19 years 9 months - actually only 16. Address - 2 court 4 house Staniforth Street. 13th Bn. Worcestershire Regt.

Discharged 4th May 1916 - cause of discharge - not likely to become an efficient soldier - Atrophy of Deltoid Muscle.

Reelistment of Discharged Solider - 9th December 1916 -
No.186937 - Labour Corp B2 Warwicks.
same address and personal details.

Discharged 7th June 1917 - services no longer required Vide. A.C.T (?) 2333 para. 392 xxv K.R. Conduct Good. Place of discharge Egg Buckland.

No.46596 - Devonshire Regt. Looks liked date transferred 8th May 1917.
I have his General Service medal with this information on the rim.
It looks as though he served in France from 6th January 1917 for 59 days.

There is also a Chelsea No.217529 H dated 9th January 1918 his no.25757 is shows a sum of £15.00 which I presume is a lump sum.

It is all rather confusing as my dad told me he was later in the forerunner of the RAF as a rigger. and was in Germany in the army of occupation until 1919/1920.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated.

Medal Cards on Ancestry

Thanks for the link Terry, I'll have a look later on. BTW he did serve in France in 1917 but only for 59 days.

Back