• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mattiello & Sons

It is Mattiello, Viv. Joseph Mattiello & Son,. In 1932,1933 Kellys he is at 6 Duddeston Row , but listed just as Sheet metal worker , but without the "& Son". In the 1936 Kellys he is at 50 Duddeston Row, listed as Joseph Mattiello & Son, tinsmith. So the photo would have been taken (allowing for the delay in publication of Kellys, usually taken as year before publication), between 1932 and 1935
The "& Son" does look a bit cramped and different at the end, which would agree to it having been added

Birmingham Gazette, August 1923….Was this the Joe in the shop ?

Joseph may have died in September 1944.…In September 1950 there is an advert for JM at 50-51 Coleshill St, sheet metal work, soft soldering.

51E6365E-2D59-4CDB-BF4E-FF1CA5C51D1D.jpeg

Presumably the statue. shown in post 3. at St. Micheal's, is still there.
I have just been trying to find that out but the only interior photos I can find don't show it. So I don't know - one would hope so. However, the church is now the heart of the Polish community not the Italian one as it was when Joe Mattiello organised the statue.

Back