• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

marriage look up - 13 Nov 1814 Allen

aimac21

master brummie
Would be very grateful for any information about marriage between James Allen and Mary Ann Hands. Is it possible to discover the names of any children they had ? Mary Ann may have died early in the marriage. It is possible that James remarried another Mary 13 October 1823.

I think that I can help you with the children (or at least some). I came across James and Mary and I wasn't sure if they fitted in with some research I was doing, so I wrote them down. I will look through my notes and get back to you in a couple of hours

James Allen and Mary Hands were married in St Martins.

I have found one christening in St Martins - Charles, born 26 Nov 1815, christened 7 Jun 1816. There are a couple of others on the same batch (C010723)in FamilySearch, but the father is James Smart Allen, so I think that could be a different person?
However, the following appear at St Phillips with parents James and Mary (or James and Mary Ann) (batch C041796):
James - christened 19 Apr 1813
James - born 14 july 1817
Thomas - born 12 nov 1818, christened 20 Jun 1821
Mary Ann - born 1 Jan 1821, christened 29 Jan 1821

I think that this is the best I can do without the full parish registers. Perhaps someone with the registers on DVD can provide further leads.

[Incidentally, I never did work out if James fitted in with my research - do you know who his father and siblings were?]

Thank you so much leslam. You very kindly responded to an earlier post of mine this year in connection with James and Mary Ann Allen. And I'm very grateful for this extra information you have provided regarding children.

Actually I'm trying to identify the father and mother of my (known) ggg parent :Charles Allen (born 1815/16 Birmingham). For reasons I won't bore you with, I think there is a connection between a James and Mary Ann Allen living according to the 1841 census a few streets away from Charles and his family. The occurence of the name John James in both families being a persuasive factor. But I may be wrong, and what I would really like to do is pin down Charles' parentage !

You mention in your para 2 'there are a couple of others on the same batch...' did you mean a couple of other children ? I guess I really need access to the full parish registers, as you suggest, to see how many Charles were born in 1815/16 ?

BTW are you doing research into the Allen family. I'd be most interested if you are. Look forward to hearing back from you. And thanks again.

I came across the Allens when I was researching a branch of my husband's family. It's a complicated tale, but suffice to say that his ggg-aunt married Daniel Edwin Allen in 1839. Now Daniel had a brother, Charles Henry, born 5 March 1816 and christened 10 June 1816 in St Phillips. Could this be your Charles?

If so, his parents were Thomas Allen & Susanna Lane(married St Thomas 1813)
Charles had a twin called Joseph James. I have found the other siblings as well I think, but as they weren't of direct concern to me I only followed Daniel Edwin through to the census in 1841.

If you think that these might be your family I will look up the parish records when I go to the B'ham library. Let me know and then we can arrange to communicate off-list

Many thanks for the offer of a look up at the library. Don't want to put you to any trouble and anyway I've no reason to think that Charles Henry is my man ! The names of his siblings don't unfortunately ring any bells. The search continues, I guess. Incidentally the James Allen Mary Ann Hands connection is I've discovered probably a dead end : I think that is James Smart Allen who married another Mary Ann (Butcherd) in the early 1820s - presumably Mary Ann Hands died ? So that's another one I can strike off the list ! I'll let you know if I find anything definitive.

James Allen and Mary Hands were married in St Martins.

I have found one christening in St Martins - Charles, born 26 Nov 1815, christened 7 Jun 1816. There are a couple of others on the same batch (C010723)in FamilySearch, but the father is James Smart Allen, so I think that could be a different person?
However, the following appear at St Phillips with parents James and Mary (or James and Mary Ann) (batch C041796):
James - christened 19 Apr 1813
James - born 14 july 1817
Thomas - born 12 nov 1818, christened 20 Jun 1821
Mary Ann - born 1 Jan 1821, christened 29 Jan 1821

I think that this is the best I can do without the full parish registers. Perhaps someone with the registers on DVD can provide further leads.

[Incidentally, I never did work out if James fitted in with my research - do you know who his father and siblings were?]

Leslam, im a little confused. The Charles born 1815 bapt 1816 familysearch has the parents as James Allen & Mary. There is no mention of Smart.

Emma Jane Allen 1827 shows parents as James Smart Allen & Mary.

I think there are 2 different families but am open to suggestions. As we all know this family history nearly always turns up new discoveries :rolleyes:. I don't have access to the originals either so remain open minded.;)

Any more Allen researchers out there that can shed some light on this lot!

Brummiegal :)

Back