• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Margaret Street

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
The Education Offices in Margaret Street WW2, preparing sandbags. Surprisingly not greatly changed except for cleaner buildings! Viv.

560791fc-3211-7b2e.jpg

560791fc-322a-8aef.jpg

And today.......

560791fc-3243-af8c.jpg

Hi viv ;
nice pics ; just walked in and i seen st margrets st up on the screen and lord and behold jean beat me to it
i emediately thought of the youth office for the school leavers in decades gone bye
when i left school i had to go there as a kid they gave a job for an apprentice painter and decorater fiveyears course with in the birmingham city houseing department we had to go around all the schools in brum ; and attend day releases and night school for five years the pay was wicked and it cost me a fortune in buying materials and books
done the five years course carryied on painting and deco; started up my own little bussiness
i got my own little contract with a lady from bulpitts and ended doing a block of flats in ledsam street ;
she lived in there and i ended up doing the rest of of then
thanks for the memory ; astonian;

That's great Alan and Jean. And how good that it's still there too. Maybe the sandbags did a good job!!! Viv.

HI VIV ;
Yes its nice to know that the building is still standing ; at that time in yesteryear the council used have there department in a big tall sky scraper
it was a grand building all in a grey stone and it was about 12 floors high or more
it was just around the corner from the youth office and faceing the exit of the art gallery ;infact it was probably the rear end of it and it was on grt charles street and it was called scottish alliance i think it was they had a in laid stone effct of a globe at he height of the building
and later on in time in the sixtys they moved all the bus stopps to out side the office building along along there
all the b 82 and midland red ther to dudly but as you may know they have all gone those lovely old building ;; astonian;;

Back