• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Mapplewick Factory Birmingham

Anne Kay

Hi, does anyone know anything about this factory? I've been told that my granddad was there as part of the home guard - fire watching? sometime between 39/45. apparently there was an incident that resulted in him being sent to Barnsley Hall hospital with shrapnel wounds. Might the factory have been Mapplewick and Lowe a stove and range company? and does anyone know what home guard he'd have been in, in that area? thanks for your help. Anne

Kellys directory lists no Mapplewick in the years 1939, 1940,1943 or 1946, though if it was XXX & Mapplewick it would not have come up. However there was a John E. Mapplebeck Ltd, rolled metal manufacturers at 40-60 Frankfort St. could you have misheard the name?

Kellys directory lists no Mapplewick in the years 1939, 1940,1943 or 1946, though if it was XXX & Mapplewick it would not have come up. However there was a John E. Mapplebeck Ltd, rolled metal manufacturers at 40-60 Frankfort St. could you have misheard the name?
Thats it! thank you so much for this, i have just spoken to my dad and he said yes, they were definitely a metal works and Frankfort st is in the hockley area so it all ties in. reading on another thread tho i understand the factory was still there in 1957 so it couldn't have been bombed, so i wonder if granddad was just in the vicinity and not necessarily in the factory itself? ummm new to all this and every door i go thru seems to open another one!! lol. thanks again. anne,

Sometimes factories were severely damaged after bombing, but rebuilt after the war and often maintained some production immediately after the bombing, ust because the factory was htere in 1957 does not mean it was not bombed

Back