• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

map request

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi mike...when you have time could you post a map to pinpoint court 29 hospital st please...

thank you mike..

lyn

Lyn
Only just been able to det round to it. court 29 in red . the 1889 map shows 6 houses in the row behind the house on the street. plus an extra one behind the street house on the other side of the entrance
map_c_1913_showing_houses_in_court_29~0.jpg
View attachment 71819

Hi Mike,

I hope I'm talking to the right man here - if I'm not my apologies and Merry Christmas anyway!

My great grandfather was a policeman in Aston between 1885 and his death in service in 1903. The censuses and other info give me various addresses in the area - Duddeston Mill Road in 1891, Argyle Avenue in 1901, Lime Terrace Witton Road in 1911 and Nechells Park Road in 1915 and 1918. Could you point me in the direction of a large scale map that would give me house positions for the first three please. The house in Nechells Park Road is still there and seemingly well maintained.

Many thanks

Steve

Sully
You are not very likely to be able to find a map with the positions of partticular house numbers on it. They
can usually be worked out , however, and if you give me the exact numbers of the houses I will see what I can do
mike

Mike,

Numbers are as follows:

1891: 122, Duddeston Mill Road
1901: 10, Argyle Avenue (I've been to Argyle Street and presume the Avenue was close by. All now under commercial developments of course).
1911: 5, Lime Terrace, Witton Road

Thanks very much

Steve

Sully
Below are three maps. to get them all on one map would not be possible un;ess the houses were so small you wouldn't see them, but I think you should have no trouble placing them as I have included on maps roads that are still there.
Argyle Avenue is, like some otthe similar places in Birmingham , not, as you would expect, a road, but a court/terrace leading off Argyle st. They houses are back to backs, and those definitely in argyle Avenue are in red. the one in blue, I am not clear as to whether theyare included in the avenue or not, but cannot find another terrace nearby that seems to fit. the green houses would be listed in Wharton St. Not sure of the numbering
No 122 duddeston mill road is marked in red.
Lime terrace is in red. I think, but am not sure no 5 would be theone i have amrked in a darker red-brown
Mike

map_c_1903_no_122_duddeston_mill_road.jpg

map_c_1916_argyle_avenue.jpg

map_c_1913_lime_terrace__witton_road.jpg

Mjkejee,
I've just come across thread and realize you are the Birmingham road map man. I wonder if you could find me a map showing Victoria Place HallamSt Balsall Heath?
I have recntly come across a telegram sent to my late mother from a friend wishing her a happy 21st bithday in 1928 and would be appreciate your help.

Victoria place was a row of six houses, marked in red on the c 1903 map below.Edward Road is the road across the middle of the map

map_c_1903_showing_victoria_place2C_hallam_st.jpg

Mikejee,
Thank you so much for the time you have spent on my request, wonderfull. I can tell my sister now, we are both into the early life of my mother,, who through shear hard work, like so many people in those days, escaped from poverty to live a rounded life.

Hi

Is it still possible to find a map of the lower end of Duddeston Mill Road, perhaps relating to the 60's and before. I lived there in old victorian housing then and sadly with it all gone and industrial warehousing now, there seems precious little information about that housing. I was too young to remember the name of the shared tenement yard where our house would have been.

Thank you either way.

Les

Below is a map c 1950 showing Duddeston Mill road. Its a bit bitty, but will show you numbers etc if you save and click on it

Attachments

• map c 1950 duddeston mill road.jpg
    map c 1950 duddeston mill road.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 17
hi les aside from mikes map have you looked at the electoral rolls on ancestry for the exact address where you lived..if you are not subscribed to it just give us the names of your parents and someone will look it up for you

lyn

Back