• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Map of central Birmingham from 1932

That's interesting guilbert. Didn't know there was a "Great Queen St" that ran through the old New St station site. Viv.

Actually I thought what is shown as Gt Queens Street was Queens Drive which existed until the rebuilding of New Street Station in late 1960s. Have just gone and checked the oldest A-Z I have and it says Queens Drive. The road which runs across New Street station used by taxis is still called Queens Drive but is in a different position. (I think it has just been closed with the new rebuilding). There were actually two New Street Stations separated by Queens Drive, The London and North Western Railway station in Stephenson Street and the Midland Railway station in Station Street. They were grouped in 1923 to form the London Midland and Scottish Railway. The large Railway yard shown where the MailBox is today is the former Midland Railway Central Goods Station and before the buiilding of the flats in Holliday Street a few years ago, the tunnel to Five Ways could still be seen

Great Queen St has come up before on the forum. It was certainly in more recent times known as Queens Drive, and is shown a such on the 1937 OS map. Earlier maps give it no name. Kellys directories for 1921 and 1932 do not list it, but merely refer to the entrances at both ends as "entrance to .. Station" The last mention i can find of Great Queen St is 1883 in Kellys, immediately after (1884) which it is described as "now part of Station St". I think the person who drew the map did nor know birmingham well, and wanted to put a name to the road, and found it "Great queen St" on an earlier map, so put that on his map
Mike

Thanks David and Mike, that's interesting. This looks like another part of the city centre that's seen many, many changes over time. Viv.

While hunting round the web I found this map of Birmingham from 1932.

It may not be new to some of you, but thought it worth posting for those that may not have seen it.

Pre ring-road of course so quite interesting to see where the old roads went.

I also notice there was a huge rail goods yard where the Mailbox is now.

Also note the various canal arms in the top left.

https://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/photolib/maps/Map of Birmingham 1932.htm

I remember the site of the goods station - after they had demolished it, the old trackbeds and tunnel entrances were still there - this must have been about 1970-71 (ish) - I "explored" this site on quite a few occasions!

Back