• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lower Camden and Carver St Map

• Thread starter Thread starter Forward
  • Start date Start date
F

Forward

From help from Steve I'm looking for street map circa 1880's for Lower Camden Street and Carver Street.

Any help please

Ray

Mike
Thanks for the link.
Reckon 1890 map of streets would be ideal if you could please.
Looking for location of streets at time of marriage in 1873 Benjamin Whitehouse - Lower Camden St and Sarah Slater - Carver St. And if further possible map showing location of All Saints Church Hockley.
Ray

In the 1873 Whites directory there is an entry for Jacob Whitehouse, clerk at 157 Lower Camden st. Between 1879 and 1880 lower Camden Street became part of Camden St, and there was a renumbering. The house, still with Jacob listed as occupant ( but giving no occupation) was then no 287 Camden St. The probable position of this is shown on the 1890 map below in red. T was certainly within a house either side of this, and I think this is most likely . Note, in 1873 Ellen St did not exist, but had been built by 1878..
There is no listing of a Slater in the 1873 directory, so I’m afraid I do not know where in Carver St she was , but the upper part of Carver st in 1890 is at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10087&ox=4004&oy=3116&zm=1&czm=1&x=431&y=413 , and the lower part at https://www.british-history.ac.uk/mapsheet.aspx?compid=55193&sheetid=10087&ox=4004&oy=3116&zm=1&czm=1&x=431&y=413 . For the lower half, Carver st is the one running down with only Street written on it.
mike

Mike,
Thanks for link and info. The latter I will endeavour to link with Benjamin’s father Thomas a Builders Clerk (Could be Jacob was his father or other relative). Your comments on Ellen St remind although I think houses were old some were of course recent builds in those times.
Ray

Back