• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Loveday Street Hospital

My Mom was born in Loveday Street Maternity Hospital (26.12.1929) .. her mom had to have a caesarean section (pretty scary in those days I should imagine) still they both recovered ok and Nan had her 2nd baby 19 years later !!

This is a photo.of the maternity ward,Loveday St. hospital,taken in june 1915.
One of my daughters was born there,under very difficult circumstances.
Notice how spotless it is.

Attachments

• Loveday St.1915[1].jpg
    Loveday St.1915[1].jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:
Another lovely picture Ray. What a fantastic picture of the ward in Loveday Street Maternity Hospital. How wonderful to have such a photo. I was also born there, so any photos of it are appreciated.

Judy,
I love old black and white photo's,even if I don't know anyone on them.
There are a couple in my profile albums,you might like.
This photo.is my Gt. aunt Lotte,she worked at Loveday St.hospital,although when and what dept.are lost in the mists of time.
This photo.was taken in France 1916.

As this is obviously a personal family photo it cannot be reproduced

Last edited by a moderator:
Another wonderful photo. How lovely to have these Ray. I have very few old photos of my family. I have seen those on your profile and enjoyed seeing them. Keep them coming.

Judy

I was born in Loveday St in 1957! I didn't have a name for a while so the nurses called me 'Tammy' as the song by Doris Day was the song of moment!
There was a link tunnel to the General, which my Dad (who was in the general at the time) was wheeled through to see me! I was the only one of his daughters he saw just after we were born!
Jan

nick a nice piece of information thanks
thankyou so much wendy for the photo of loveday street hosp. My twin sister and l were born their 1947 ... I have been searching for such a long time ..

Thank you for the photographs of Loveday St. Maternity Hospital. I have just discovered on the 1911 census my gt aunt was a pupil nurse there.

I have been searching for her for years, she left Wales in 1906 and must have gone to live in Birmingham! And now I have photographs of where she worked.I have printed them off, I hope this is o.k. I am so pleased.

Leni

Hi Wendy, My wife was born at Loveday Street in 1934, and also her brother Horace, named after his Dad as a lot were in those days, Hoss as everyone called him only weighed 2 pounds one oz; and yet grew up to
six foot two in his bare feet, they built us tough in those days Wendy
Bye for now, take care now.
Quote; Pessimism never won any battle General Ike 1890~1969
Bernard67Arnold

i was also born in loveday st in 1957 ,so i can now say im a true brummie as well .harley.ps thanks for the photos , lovely to see.

Hi Wendy, My wife was born at Loveday Street in 1934, and also her brother Horace, named after his Dad as a lot were in those days, Hoss as everyone called him only weighed 2 pounds one oz; and yet grew up to
six foot two in his bare feet, they built us tough in those days Wendy

Bernard that must have been really something for a baby to survive that small in the 1930's. I am glad everyone likes the picture it's actually a postcard.

Hi Wendy-Brilliant pics, Im afraid there is another true Brummie here,I was born in L.S way back May 5th 1943, I am so happy to see the place, you have made my day.
cheers gal
nutter.

Thank you Bordesley Exile, I will try and see what I can find.

Leni

Leni would it be possible for you to give feedback on the extent of the Loveday records at Birmingham Archives & in particular if they include medical records for individuals?
Thanks, Shirley

Thanks for the photos, my Nan was born in Loveday Street Maternity in 1924, and yes Rowton House is in Highgate it is now Paragon Hotel x

hi Lisa
l'ts great to have a photo of loveday hospital. My mother had a hard time with her labour... she had my sister and l. We lived at 28 Farrier RD. Then our family moved to Canada. Pillinger was my maiden name My dad was a metal spinner in England... ALFRED PILLINGER... now passed away.
bye for now

Hi Shirley, I was hoping to go to Birmingham on a visit (I live in Wales) but I an unable to go now.
However if I do make it I will of course let you know.
Leni

Wendy - You can't imagine how much these photos of Loveday Street Hospital mean to me 70 years after I was born there. THANK YOU! from Pennsylvania

Wow the place where I was born - they have a lot to answer for.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Wish I could take a walk down Loveday Street where I was born. I'm really sorry that it's on the other side of the ocean. Does it still look like this??
I am sure it doesn't but you could check it our on Google Street Live.

Did any member save the photo's at the beginning of this thread if so it would be nice to re load them. Sadly I lost them when my old computer died and I didn't back them up...lesson learned.

No sorry -but a little tip - when my PC failed last time I took the old drive out and extracted the files from it when the new one was in the PC and set up.

Yes my son did that but I had so many photo's some were lost. I know there was a lot of interest in these photo's so I am sure someone must have saved them.

Re post #73 Wendy, can you look up your records of attachments to see what the file name was; if you are not sure how to do that send me a message

Back