• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

`Lost Cresswell`.

cresser

master brummie
Can anyone help me at all. I am trying to find anything concerning my G/Father, Arthur Cresswell, and his time in the Royal Engineers, during WW1. He was born at Loxley,Warwickshire, in 1889, and at the time of the war, was living in Kings Heath,Birmingham. He survived the war and returned to K.H. afterwards. The only evidence I have are two photo`s of him in uniform, one on horseback, with the legend: 1st Riding Squad, Aldershot 1917 and, 1st Footdrill Squad, Aldershot, and that I`m afraid, is that. I have visited Kew to search for his service records, but sadly they appear to have been destroyed in the later scrap, I do have a copy of a MIC, fromAncestry, but I`m not at all positive it`s the right one, and I cannot find him in the Absent Voters List, either. The wall, as they say, has been hit! Help. Thanks in anticipation.

Is he the Arthur Cresswell who married a Lily M Barrett in Kings Norton district (would have included Kings Heath) in the 1st quarter of 1923?

Name: Arthur R Cresswell . Regiment or Corps: Royal Engineers, Hampshire Regiment . Regimental number: 116136, 09049

Lloyd, Thanks for your reply, yes, he did mary Lily May Barrett in 1923, and lived in Kings Heath. She sadly died in 1924, just days after giving birth to my Father. Arthur then re-married in 1925,( he did`nt muck about! ), however, on the Birth Marriage and Death certificates I have, there is no middle `R` to Arthurs name, and no-one I`ve spoken to, seems to think he had a middle name, but I stand corrected. Cresser

Back