• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Looking for Maurice Lawson Banks

Nigeman

Hello all. I am new to this forum so excuse my stumbling around, I think I am in the correct place to post a request. I am a frequent visitor to the Somme battlefields, my great uncle was killed on 1st July 1916. For over 100 years my family has been trying to gather information as to what happened to his body. In the course of research, a possible connection with a Maurice Lawson Banks, who lived at 25 Oldknow Road Small Heath has appeared. Maurice served with the 2nd Battalion Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers service number 12915. He was also killed on 1st July 1916. I am interested in tracing any family members, or others who might have knowledge of the circumstances of his death, eg time and location. I know he was buried in a cemetery beside thiepval wood and his remains then moved after the war to Lonsdale cemetery, Authuille. I will be visiting his grave this April or May in the course of my research. Any information or help will be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks, Nigel McFadzean. aka Nigeman

I can tell you Maurice had 3 sisters and 2 brothers. Of these only 2, Grace (Bridgewater) and Ernest, appear to have had children, 7 in total. And there appear to be descendants still alive.

Welcome to the Forum.
A few questions.
Did your great uncle serve in the Royal Inniskillings? Do you know his army number?
Was your uncle from Birmingham? If so his name might be helpful to us.
Have you used the War Diaries?

Hi MWS and PJM. Thank you for replying. I do have the 1911 census and aware that he had several brothers and sisters. There was a post in this forum dated a few years ago from the sister of a Melanie Banks, whose parents Fred and Edna ran a fishing tackle shop in green lane. I don't know if this is the same family, the sister (Anne?) does not appear to be a member on the forum anymore. But If anyone knows if this is the correct family, it would be great to be put in contact. A brother, Paul, is also mentioned. Not sure of the time period being talked about but apparently he drove a Triumph Vitesse convertible. (possibly 1960's). My great Uncle has been well chronicled on many forums and organizations as he was awarded the VC. Google his name for more information. He was not from Birmingham, my family is from Northern Ireland. My interest is as my great-uncle (William McFadzean VC known as Billy) has no known grave. I do believe I know the location of Billys death. I also believe that Maurice and Billy might have been in the same area and hence were initially buried in the same location. I know the location of Maurice's initial burial, I just have no evidence when or where he was killed. Hence the desire to hear if any family knowledge exists. This might be a dead end enquiry but it may also lead to the conclusion that Billy is buried close to Maurice in an 'unknown' grave depending on any family knowledge. War diaries tend to mention officers, the non-commissioned men are rarely mentioned. Thanks, Nigel McFadzean

Back