• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Looking for Graves in Warstone Lane Cemetery - Rolfe

Dashers

master brummie
Looking to locate the graves of two sisters:

Lydia ROLFE (1846 - 1854) - Register No. 3329
Catherine ROLFE (1850 - 1854) - Register No. 3330

Any help appreciated

This is a very strange one. I have checked the indexes and where it states grave and section it just reads none on both entries for Lydia and Catherine. I know some of the early records are missing so maybe this is the case. I don't know whether Key Hill Brian can help more with this one. Do you have a death certificate for either of the girls. This may throw some light on it.

Thanks Wendy, I don't have a death certificate (yet) as I only recently found out they existed.

The Burial Record that I have comes from the "Birmingham and Midland Society for Genealogy and Heraldry" from their "Parish Records Collection - burial" which is where I found the cemetery name and the register numbers.

These are very early burials in WL, Numbers 3,329 & 3,330 - Consequtive - so presumably buried at same time.
The WL records are notorious for having the Grave Number missing in the Register - but the surviving Register is really the Cash Book - It was more for recording the cost (& payment)!
Other registers would have cross refernced to this, but either have not survived, or were taken into storage by the C of E or City Council and forgotten about!

Copies of the actual register entry can be obatined from the bmsgh - about £4.

As they are so early in the life of WL - only 6 years from opening in 1848 - it may be possible to search through the Grave ddeds register from day 1 until 1854, and try and spot the grave with it's occupants. Quite time consuming.
It is also possible that it is an early Public Grave grave in Section B against the wall of the building in Warstone Parade, where the wall mounted memorials have become 'lost' over time.
Handsworth cemetery will undertake genealogy searches, but it is about £10 minumum and can be wait for weeks to find spare time to undertake it!

I would suggest popping over there - Oxhill Road, and see if they will let you look through the grave deed Register - probabl;y better on a weekend when it may be quiter. they are open 7 days a week.

Brian

Hi Dashers,

Unfortunately the column for the grave number is blank. They were buried by a William Rolfe of Gooch St. It seems you will need to go to Oxhill Road to look through the register. I hope you have more success.

rosie.

Back