• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Longbridge Road Balsall Heath

HATELEY

master brummie
Does anyone living in this district remember The Sucklings who lived at 41 close to Sherbourne road. Alfred Suckling was my grandfather and he had a buisness from the thirties to the fifties manufacturing Ginger Beer. This was at 2 Longbridge Rd. Does anyone have pictures of Longbridge Rd showing his premises or pictures of Alfred Square where he lived at the turn of the 20th Century .

I think I remember a Carol Suckling, I think it must have been from school. I was born and bred just up the road from Longbridge Road. I will ask my brother if he remembers.

A few months ago someone was selling a Suckling's Ginger Beer Bottle on Ebay. Here is a photo of Longbridge Road from the Sherbourne Road end.
I wish I had bought that bottle now, but we are trying to de-clutter.
Ted

My brother Joe Arnold and his family
lived in Longbridge Road for many years before moving to Northfield, 112 I believe it was, Bernard

Thanks Tavernes I have found that Suckling was a name that occurs once or twice in the Balsall Heath area around the end of the 20th century. We did not have a Carol in our family but you never know what the memory can drag back. Perhaps your brother may recall something.

Thanks Ted I saw that picture a couple of weeks ago. My grandads house is the big one with the chimneys!. He was also the local coalman in the early part of the 1900,s. Pity I didnt start this earlier but I might be able to trace that Sucklings Ginger Beer bottle with a bit of effort. Glad I joined this forum people are so helpful

Thanks Bernard Perhaps he might remember something that would be of use to me assumming he is still alive.

Hi

It might not have been Carol Suckling as you say the memory gets a little dim over the years, I thought that there were Arnolds in Sherborne Road as well as Longbridge Road, the last house by the bomb site that you could walk across to River Street? I have a vague memory that someone in the family had a hearing problem.

Tavernes your memory is spot on my cousin who I have just found after 40yrs told me yesterday that my grandmother Mrs Verena Suckling wore an hearing aid which was encased in a box which hung from her neck.I have seen pictures of her and I thought it was a purse!

Sorry about that, my brothers are have all gone Eddy my other brother lived in that area, his eldest daughter Pauline introduced me to this site a year a go, she
remembers a lot of people around there, I will get in touch with her, she may be able to help, Bernard

hello all, am i right in thinking a familey by the name of Bainbrige lived in Longbridge rd? if so i new them quite well.

shardeen

Yes there was a Bainbridge family there.
The Arnolds lived in Sherbourne road; there is one of them on Friends Reunited. A Mrs. Arnold had a secondhand shop on the Balsall Heath Road corner with Longbridge Road, opposite the Wearwell.
Ted

Bernard,
I have just picked up your post regarding your brother Joe. The Arnold I referred to who is on Friends Reunited, told me that she lived in Sherbourne Road, opposite Longbridge Road, and she had no knowledge of the Mrs Arnold I recall so well who had the shop.
Ted

Hello there ,having escaped to the green fields of Yardley Wood at a very young age I remember little or nothing about
Balsall Heath, my brothers Joe and Eddy both lived there for years, is it Pauline you met on the Friends site? She had been
looking into the family tree etc; for some years now, she introduced me to this forum almost a year ago now. I dont think
anyone in the family ever mentioned a shop!! now if you had said PUB, I think the whole family had shares in M+Bs or
Ansells.After my Mom died in 1952 my sister Betty went to live with Joe in Longbridge Road, I was still in the army in those
days Bernard

I remember Sucklings had a bottling factory behind house just down from the Wearwell factory . My mother worked for years at the Wearwell. Also I used to buy Sucklings ginger beer for thruppence a bottle from the sweet shop the other side of the entry to the Lyttleton PH in Balsall Heath road. The lady who owend the shop was called Gertie

Charliewag Can you remember what type of bottle the ginger beer was sold in. Was it glass? I have recently obtained a Sucklings stoneware Ginger Beer bottle which considering Grandads factory closed down in 1952 is quite an achievement, Anything else you might remember would be much appreciated. Where exactly was The Lyttleton in Balsall Heath Rd was it on the corner

Hello Hateley,
The Lyttleton PH was about 1/3 of the way down from Longbridge Road and Longmore Steet.

The bottle was glass with a wire holding the cork stopper, if you shake the bottle on releasing the wire, the cork would shoot into the air.
The photo is my sister outside of the shop about 1954/5.

The Lyttleton Arms, Balsall Heath Rd. opposite the black patch.

Phil

BalsallHeathLyttletonArmsBalsallHeathBalsallHeathRd.jpg

Hi
There was another Suckling family in Sparkbrook,namely in Oldfield road, they had a tripe shop, their grandaughter Carol Suckling went to Clifton Road School & then Waverley Grammar School, she now lives in Australia.
Cheers
Dave Rock

Hi that was me! I am on Freinds reunited and I'm Bernard Arnolds niece and we did live in sherborne rd opposite Longbridge Rd... Don't remember having any Arnold relatives rich enough to have a shop tho...

I think I remember a Carol Suckling, I think it must have been from school. I was born and bred just up the road from Longbridge Road. I will ask my brother if he remembers.
my grandparents name was Suckling, Alfred & Verena they lived at no 2 longbridge road but I regret to say I cannot recall a Pat Suckling my mothers name was Muriel and her sisters were Annie and May. The timeline was the 1940-1950

Pat was Sydney and Rhoda's daughter. Sydney's father was Walter Suckling, whose family had the tripe shop on Oldfield Road, Sparkbrook.

Last edited:
Thanks Ted I saw that picture a couple of weeks ago. My grandads house is the big one with the chimneys!. He was also the local coalman in the early part of the 1900,s. Pity I didnt start this earlier but I might be able to trace that Sucklings Ginger Beer bottle with a bit of effort. Glad I joined this forum people are so helpful
Hi , I have a Sucklings stone beer bottle made of stone, saying the works were then in longmore st .

Attachments

• 20220228_114728.jpg
    20220228_114728.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
Back