• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

london prentice street

Presumably 3 -6 are the block of four neareat to us. That makes the larger building with bay window the shop at no 7 (in 1880) of Patrick Moran, and the faint building further along nos 8-9. 8-9 in 1880 was occupied by John Melvin, who is rather repulsively describbed as a skin merchant.

Thanks for the photo Lyn, my great grandparents lived at 42 London Prentice Street in 1881, it is wonderful to see what it was like. It had a dreadful reputation from what I have read in articles by Carl Chinn, and they were mainly Irish or of Irish descent, as were my family. There is another thread on the Forum re this street but I have never seen a photo before.

most welcome sylv...i believe that pics of this street are hard to come by...

lyn

hi sylv..glad you can see it...i cant see any of the images posted on this thread....

lyn

reposting london prentice st pic and also a new one showing the demolision of the street...

London20Prentice20St.jpg

According to Showell's Dictionary of Birmingham:

LONDON PRENTICE STREET was called Western Street or Westley's Row on the old maps, it's continuation, the Coach Yard, being then Pemberton's Yard. How the name London 'Prentice Street came to be given to the delectable thoroughfare is one of "those things no fellow can understand." At one time there was a schoolroom there, the boys being taught good manners upstairs, while they could learn lessons of depravity below. With the anxious desire of putting the best face on everything that characterises the present local "fathers of the people," the London 'Prentice has been sent to the right-about, and the nasty, dirty, stinking thoroughfare is now called "Dalton Street."

Thanks Lyn,
Thats what I was looking for, Judy and I had ancestors living there c 1850s.Mine was a gt.gt.grandad,named Erotinard,born 1815 in Spain his father was a soldier,(15th Hussars) during the peninsular war,his mother was a "lady of Spain".Imagine a Spanish born chimney sweep in an Irish community,no wonder he changed his name to Edward.

Thought I'd post 3 maps to help show over time the street name changes mentioned in previous posts (as some of this info was lost after hacking). Viv

Westley's 1731 map - here it's called Westley's Row. Wonder if it was named after the mapmaker then?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328873066.730886.jpg

From Tallis's World Map 1851- here it's London Apprentice Street
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328873169.814437.jpg

From the OS 1890 map - here it's Dalton Street
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328873226.548052.jpg

Viv.

Thank you for posting those maps Viv. Very little remained of Dalton Street last time I went to find it some years ago, but it helps to know where our ancestors used to live. Mine who lived there were Irish, as were many who lived in London Prentice Street.

Judy

Thanks for the photo Lyn, my great grandparents lived at 42 London Prentice Street in 1881, it is wonderful to see what it was like. It had a dreadful reputation from what I have read in articles by Carl Chinn, and they were mainly Irish or of Irish descent, as were my family. There is another thread on the Forum re this street but I have never seen a photo before.
Jeremiah Walters lived at 46. A relative of my mothers.

Back