• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

location...location.???

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks....can anyone help me pinpoint exacty where about on new john st west this pic was taken...its at the junction near to summer lane...but which side of the road...as c.brandaur goes to almost summer lane i would think it maybe on the opposite side to that...and what church is that...i never knew there was one situated on that st... well it looks like a church...

cheers

lyn

hi lyn, if my memory serves me right that building was st georges church ,it was on the right hand side going up from summer lane.i hope iv'e got it correct but time does play tricks with your memory hope this helps gill.

hi gillian...this is what is confusing me...john has said that st georges parish club room was next to c brandaurs but i am not sure if he means thats what the pic is......st georges church was in tower st/gt hampton row....so i am really confused now lol......maybe john can help us when he comes back on line.....

lyn

I have just spoken with a friend of mine who went to the a building just past Bradaurs to Sunday school lessons he used to go up stairs for lantern slide shows and the Sunday school lessons, he also said it was used for womens meetings during the latter part of the war, St georges church is a fair distancs from Brandaurs

I have delved back further in time and have now found it is St Edwards Parish Church
Kelly's 1939

brillent john...i did not realise that there was a church in njsw...thanks ever so much.....

lyn

This is the St Edwards Church I have been searching for since I joined you all! It was renamed St Georges for a while, but I have been looking for it for so long I cannot remeber the story behind the temporary name change. My great grandparents married here! Thanks!!!!!!

Back