• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Local grammar school?

• Thread starter Thread starter flounder
  • Start date Start date
F

flounder

Hi all, am trying to find out the name of the 'local' grammer school attended by my godfather and his friend. They both lived in the Alum Rock area and they wouldve gone there in the 1960's, 1 of them lived in george arthur road the other lived just off Highfield Road, B8.
Has anyone got any idea what grammar schools were around the area at the time?

Thanks
Wendy.xxx

Thanks, it was a long shot, but cant find them on friends reunited under the school either, think they have diappeared off the face of the earth lol
Oh well, back to the drawing board again.
Thanks again.
Wendy.xxx

My mom said the school was near the Pelham, i havent got a clue, i wasnt even born then lol, just have to keep searching, but will give that school a go too.

Wendy.xxx

The school certainly was Saltley Grammar School - I went there in the 1950's. It is now called Saltley School and, if I remember correctly, the school is listed as such on Friends Reunited, but the records on there go back to when it was a grammar school.
To find it, walk up Belchers Lane from the Pelham, cross the railway bridge and it is immediately on the right hand side. Used to do the walk every schoolday for six years!

Hope this helps.

Thanks all, have searched through both schools and they arent listed, but then again not everyone is, so back to the drawing board for me. Have contacted someone on friends reunited who lived in george arthur road and they knew them well, but lost touch years ago, so i seem to be getting a little further ahead, not as fast as i would like, but thats the fun of it i think, the searching.lol

Thanks again.
Wendy.xxx

Have you tried typing their names into Google enclosed with "quotes". I have tracked a few this way.

Thanks for the idea, will go do a bit more searching now, just wish i had definate dates instead of the odd year here and there.

Hi Flounder I went to grammar school with a girl from Highfield Road but the school was at Hodge Hill.perhaps your godfather travelled to another school.
Notice you are tracing Mann family.My maiden name is Mann all of our family are from Duddeston,Alum Rock area ,what names do you have?

My grandfathers name was Thomas Mann born 1925, son of Mary Ann Bishop and Edward Victor Mann. Edwards father was Naasson(query over spelling) Jessie Mann born 1860.

As for my godfather, my mom always said him and his friend went to the local grammer, up by the Pelham, which i have been told by the lovely people on here would have been Saltley, my mom and her friend went to Nansen Road Girls.
There were 6 of them who used to hang around together, i know about 3 of them, 1 was my mom, 1 was my dad, 1 was my godmother who sadly died in '70s, just leaves 3.

Thanks
Wendy.xxx

Thanks, have looked there too, got a feeling i am fighting a losing battle, oh well at least its keeping me out of trouble (and out of doing housework) lol

Have tried 192.com, and there is 1 Christopher Millman listed in Birmingham, but no address, gotta pay for that info. More for Michael O' connor, think my best bet is go to central library and try and fine info there, can try and combine looking for godmothers death record, dont relish it, i HATE town!

Thanks for everything, feel i am getting a bit nearer.

Wendy.xxxx

Thanks LLoyd, did see these, although not a Christopher, they may be able to help, so am going to write to them, rather than phone.
Thanks again
Wendy.xxx

My brother attended Saltley Grammar School in the 1960's, We lived in Saltley (Ash Road) and Alum Rock (Nansen Road). If you want to give the names of your god father and friend, he may know of them.

Hi, many thanks, but i have sent a letter back in Ocrober and havent had a reply, am thinking either they have moved or dont want contact, here are the names anyway, my godfather is Christopher Millman and his frind was Michael O'Connor who married Janice Hicks.

Thanks
Wendy.xxx

Hi, many thanks, but i have sent a letter back in Ocrober and havent had a reply, am thinking either they have moved or dont want contact, here are the names anyway, my godfather is Christopher Millman and his frind was Michael O'Connor who married Janice Hicks.

Thanks
Wendy.xxx

Hi there

Might also be worth investigating Kind Edward's Camp Hill Grammar School, - not a great distance away.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Wendy,

Hope you don't mind me wriiting to you reference the above, I am an old friend of Michael O'Connor back to the sixties and have tried many times to find him, I also met your Godfather Chris he was Mick's best friend but don't know what happened to him.

Do you know where Michael lives and if he is still married to Janice.

Hope you are having some luck with your search.

Janice.xx

Hi all, am trying to find out the name of the 'local' grammer school attended by my godfather and his friend. They both lived in the Alum Rock area and they wouldve gone there in the 1960's, 1 of them lived in george arthur road the other lived just off Highfield Road, B8.
Has anyone got any idea what grammar schools were around the area at the time?

Thanks
Wendy.xxx

Hi Wendy,

The Grammar School you are referring to was called Central Grammar my Uncle, Howard Carter known as Cag I think was a teacher there but unfortunately he has passed away my friend was Michael O'Connor his best friend was Chris Millman, I have been trying to get in touch with Michael do you know his wereabouts. Have you had any luck finding Chris Millman, great chap.

Janice

Are you sure it was a Grammar School? the only one by the Pelham was Saltley Grammar afaik. But Alston Rd was close by, and thay had a 'posh' uniform. unlike most seondary schools round there at the time.

If you cant find them at Saltley on friends reunited, have you tried local primary schools for the names ? then if you find them you can look at their 'other places' on the site.

I found it best not to bother with friends reuniteds list of schools in the same area, much better to just look in the A-Z.

Long shot, but you could try Waverley Rd Grammar in Small Heath. Its a fair distance, but there were kids living around the Charles Rd area at Saltley Grammar.

Central Grammar school began its life in Suffolk Street this is why it was called Central but it later had various locations,first at Cherrywood Road and then with Byng Kendrick in Gressel lane.It was later known as Byng Kendrick Central then it merged with Sir Wilfred Martineau and became the international College.

I am going back to the 60's when it was at Alum Rock near the Pelham, later it was changed to Saltley Grammar and later moved to Gressel Lane when all the schools merged, ref Byng Kendrick and Sir Wilfred Martineau. Did any off you attend Central and know Michael O'connor

I am sorry to disagree but I do not know what years Central went to cherrywood road but I do know that when I passed my 11+ in 1953 ,Saltley Grammar was my second choice so it was not called Central then, my friend was there from 1953-58 and my husband( who is younger than me) had a friend go to Saltley grammar between 1963 -68.
Robert Kilroy Silk says in his autobiography that he attended Saltley Grammar 1953-58.
I also know that children from Saltley Grammar were evacuated to Hinckley in Leics in the 1940s.

Last edited:
Central Grammer School was at Suffolk Street 1897 - 1939 Burbridge Road , Cherrywood Road , 1944 -1955 and Tile Cross from 1957 on Bernie

I am sorry to disagree but I do not know what years Central went to cherrywood road but I do know that when I passed my 11+ in 1953 ,Saltley Grammar was my second choice so it was not called Central then, my friend was there from 1953-58 and my husband( who is younger than me) had a friend go to Saltley grammar between 1963 -68.
Robert Kilroy Silk says in his autobiography that he attended Saltley Grammar 1953-58.
I also know that children from Saltley Grammar were evacuated to Hinckley in Leics in the 1940s.

Central Grammar school began its life in Suffolk Street this is why it was called Central but it later had various locations,first at Cherrywood Road and then with Byng Kendrick in Gressel lane.It was later known as Byng Kendrick Central then it merged with Sir Wilfred Martineau and became the international College.

Did wonder why it was called Central Grammar, Gressel lane is hardly central.

Didnt Enoch Powell go there for a while as well ? I'm sure someone there told me he did. Theres a wooden 'plaque' with names of old boys on it at the top of one of the stairwells, but his name wasnt on it.

Back