• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Little Cannon Street

Fabian

knowlegable brummie
It was the previous home to the Assay Office. Where is it or was it, in which case what is it now.
The Ladywell -public spa/baths. When did it cease? Where do its natural springs flow now?
Any information please?

The Ladywell was near or in Wrottesley Street, and Ladywell Walk is still there now. I think it was only a public source of water, I don't think it was a bath, although I would not swear to that. No idea when it ceased or if it has been culverted. I have got information from a book which says 'Water from the well or spring helped the fill the moat around the parsonage'.

The book is of street names and it has no mention of Little Cannon Street, only Cannon Street and Cannon Passage. I am sure someone else will have information. It certainly does not seem to be marked on the map of 1902.

It was an actual bath. there has been a thread about them previously. The site is shown on the 1839 map below. West's directory quotes Hutton as sayin there were seven baths on the site. the owners that I have record of are below:
1815 Brunner Paul, brush maker, and keeper of Lady Well Baths
1818 Brunner Paul, brush maker, and keeper of the hot, cold pleasure, and" (shower baths, Lady Well
1823 Monro and Co. fumigating and vapour baths, together with hot, cold, shower, and pleasure baths, Lady well-walk
1833 and 1833 Monro George, proprietor of Lady-well Baths, Lady-well walk. Also listed as Birmingham Baths
1839 Munroe, George, Ladywell Baths
1841-49 Monroe. Prop.of Ladywell Baths
This wou;ld seem to indicate that the baths ceased in the early 1850s.

Little Cannon St was partially destroyed in the building of Corporation St. The remainder became Fore St (see below on plan for route of corporation st)

1839_map_Ladywell_bathsA~0.jpg

little_cannon_st__1875~0.jpg

Super information plus maps. Many thanks. The map 1875 map showing Little Cannon St and the other one showing the Ladywell, how do I get access to the full maps? I do not live in Birmingham anymore and I have spoken to your Reference Library who have some maps on public access and the older ones for supervised access only and I do not suppose that they would like me taking a camera in. Any help on this please? Also have you any idea as to the date when the Ladywell was first opened? The whole of Hutton's History is available as a free download from Project Gutenburg, but I expect that you know that.

The 1839 map is on the mapseeker website, and the one showing Little Cannon st is incorporated as a loose map in Vol 2 of the History of Birmingham by Gill & Briggs . (Vol 1 is by Gill & vol 2 by Briggs)

It is for sale , but the print at 24 x 20 inches is, I gather, £26. you can download portions for free.

Back