• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lime Grove, Venetia Road

RussH

knowlegable brummie
Good Afternoon,

I was wondering if any one knew much about Lime Grove, Venetia Road.
I am been looking through the forums and seem a Lime Grove on Moseley Road, but there seems to be no reference to Venetia Road. A forum search also throws up "Lime Groves" in quite a few parts of Birmingham.

Would there have been a Lime Grove coming off Venetia Road in Bordsley/Small Heath?

Brilliant, that will be the one, I should have added the date, its was 1924 I was looking at. This is where my grandmother was born

Thanks MWS

Does anyone happen to have any photos of this street?

The 1950 map is one of the better maps, a greater resolution and listing house numbers. This is from 1917, Lime Grove and Venetia Road look the same...

Lime Grove 2.jpg

I think you'll have to be quite lucky for photos but you never know.

Hi MWS,

Yes the 1950 is good, and shows the house my Nan was born at, Number 20

Huge Thanks Again.

Does anyone happen to have any photos of this street?
There are aerial photos of the area dated 1934 reference the maps.
Photo 1 shows Venetia Road in the bottom left corner with Lime Grove in the middle of the view.
1_Lime Grove_1934.jpg

Photo 2 shows Venetia Road (marked) with Lime Grove off it and Garrison Lane in right bottom corner.
2_Lime Grove_Venetia Road_1934.jpg
images source 'britainfromabove' website

Oh wow, these are amazing, thank you MoHawk. Any idea what the big factory was on the top of picture 2?

I not sure about when the factory was demolished but this Google Earth view dated 1945 appears to show that the factory has survived WW2. Also Lime Grove is in the view ... :)
Venetia 1945.jpg

Hi Mohawk,

I dont suppose you have an aerial view of High Park Street circa 1930 as well do you?

Cheers
Russ

Hi, Just revisiting this thread. I'm assuming that back in the 1930s that children typically attended school very local to them as transport was minimal. I am therefore trying to have a guess what school my Nan could have attended that were close to Lime Grove. Does any one have any knowledge of what schools were in the area back in the 1930s?

There was a school at on tilton road at the junction with Garrison lane, where there is now a mosque

Thanks for thr reply Mike

Could the part in the below photo, next to the mosque be part of it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220512-091959_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20220512-091959_Maps.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 14
Great, thanks MoHawk, so that picture I posted looks to be the remaining school. It's likely she went there if she lived in Lime Grove.

There was also a school on Ada Road which you can see on the aerial photo (post #11) bottom left.

Thanks for thr reply Mike

Could the part in the below photo, next to the mosque be part of it?
I would think definitely. There is a reason apparently why it is still there. Roy Thornton's book ". Victorian buildings of birmingham" states that the school was built in 1891 for 1076 pupils and is grade II listed

I was looking at my mother in laws birth certificate and it says a grove on Venetia road but it doesn’t look like lime
The handwriting is bad very hard to read

It’s 1936 I’ve had another look and it does say lime it’s just written with a very curly L and the dot of the I was too far over so it looked like a completely different word
Thanks for the reply
I now know it’s number 22 Lime Grove

Back