• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

lichfield street 1880

Lovely picture Astoness I am sure some of my ancestors lived in Lichfield Street am I right in thinking its now Corporation Street.?

Out of interest the pub with the interesting lamp is the Rose & Crown. you can in fact see a crown on the top of it.
Mike

thanks for the link michael and thanks also mike for the name of the pub..i did wonder...

lyn

My g.g. grandfather John Raybould together with his wife and daughter age and m-in-law lived at The Rose & Crown, 79.1/2 Lichfield Street at the time of the 1841 census. Photo and information supplied by Mike Ingram and John Houghton in 2006.

reposting lichfield st dated 1880.. though on the face of it victorian these houses may well have dated back to the 17th century...along with 600 buildings including 375 houses they were demolished to make way for the construction of corportation st...this section between old square and newton st was completed in 1882..

img672.jpg

Lyn
The original caption said c 1882 , and that the houses were 101-104, and were on the site of what would be the Law Courts

hi mike do you have the pic of it i posted on post 1 then as ive only got it down as 1880 and you told us in post 4 that the pub in the pic was the rose and crown...

thanks mike.

Lyn
I have several versions of that picture with different degrees of cropping, so am not sure which was on post 1. However, one is from a book and gives the date written below as 1882 and the numbers as 101-104. No 101 (from directories was the Rose and crown). Another gave 1880. The building with the man in the doorway two doors can (just) be seen on one version as 103. He was listed in 1876 as william stark, broker However the one between (no 102) was william jones, a candlestick maker, and no 100 , to the right of the pub, was Isaac Williams, grocer. the "hole"
to the right of that, 98-99, Christopher Baker & Sons, coffin furniture manufacturers, was still ;isted in the 1880 directory (which might have been surveyed late 1879).
The tidy looking building to the left of 103 was shared in 1876 by an unbrella maker and Edward
White , registrar of births& deaths for St. Mary's district
mike

brilliant info mike..i guess a year or twos difference wont matter...still find it hard to take in when i look at these old pics that the city once looked as it did..

thanks mike.

That was interesting I'd like to read the booklet. Googgling the Birmingham Irish Heritage Group seems to give a vague reference to the Irish club and a website which is defunct.
it would seem that Thomas had had enough of the Catholic church after his experience of being "let go" (assuming it is the same one, and I would think it was). Frpm the Blackburn Standard 5.9. 1838

Blackburn_Standard__5_9_1838.jpg

Yes, I am disappointed that Thomas Finigan's booklet is not available other than by direct access at Birmingham Archives, Mike. Thank you for the follow up newspaper cutting.

Here is another picture of Lichfield St,it shows The Farriers Arms, which i think is opposite where The Crown now stands on Corporation St.moss

Attachments

• Lichfield St.The Farriers Arms. near Harry Parkes.jpg
    Lichfield St.The Farriers Arms. near Harry Parkes.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 23
Back