• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield road wide entry

a s wood

master brummie
I was hoping that Astonian would reply to my question re the name of the wide entry on the Lichfield Road next to The Widdows pub, but alas not yet. Does anyone else know?
Amanda

Amanda would it be Lovers Walk by any chance?. Denise Hodson may know but she is going away shortly [on holiday that is]. Jean.

Lovers Walk was adjacent to Aston Station and rear of and parallel to Grovener Road terminating to bottom of Queens Rd (it provided a rear entrance to Grovener Pub) - well it did in the 40s and 50s.. I suppose it could be described as a wide entry. Eric

HI Amanda
please except my opologise for not responding to your request
there was a arch way entry left hand side of the widdows and the largest on on lichfield rd next to
the widdows whih was ours it had two high pillars buit at the bottom of the entry
and two huge concrete balls on each one and that was called cromwell terrace
the entry before the widdows is where mandy grand parents lived and there is a picture of him and that entry in a book called back to backs pre wars i beleived it was called if it takes my dieing breath
i will climb in the loft and finaly sort it out for her
but he biggest entry on lichfield rd next to the widows and the house on the bottom was the barnes
and the trommans whom was first to buy the state of the ark coulour tv whilst every body had black and white
all except us at number five we never even had a black and white
look foreward to hearing from you soon ; best wishes Astonian ;;;

hi amanda
i do beleive they did and i think it was number 18
as i am quickly trying to work it out in my head and they left very early in the early fifties
from the terrace and just before they left there was an incident with a child whom got is mouth hook up
in his mouth that was attatched to the window and he was crying out aloud police and ambulance came and got him free and took him to hospital it would have been about 10 months later they moved out
after they moved out for what ever reason it was afew good years before we moved out
and we was the only ones to move years before the slum clearance and mother got in touch with her parents
whom was connect to councillor silverman and bush house connected along with george jelf influence
whom was a cousin to her and the grew up together
bes wishes Astonian ;;;

Lovers walk was alongside the railway line at aston station, we used to go along it to the onion fayre when i was a very small child

Hi geoff
do you remember the little house along the walk, ?.
Before going to school every morning i used to walk along the lichfield rd and down past thereand behond
helpng the post man and pushing his bike through there way back in the very early fifties
best wishes astonian ;;;

I DO VERY VAGUELY, I SEEM TO REMEMBER THERE BEING A SCRAP YARD ALONG THERE TOO. i LEFT THE AREA WHEN i WAS 5 ALTHOUGH MANY OF MY FAMILY STAYED UNTIL THE EARLY 70'S, I DON'T KNOW WHETHER YOU HAVE READ ANY OF MY OTHER NOTES, BUT MY GRNADMOTHERS BROTHER LES AND FLO GAMMIDGE KEPT THE WIDOWS, HIS SON AND FAMILY LIVED IN ONE OF THE YARDS ADJACENT TO THE PUB, PROBABLY THE ONE THAT IS BEING ASKED ABOUT, BUT I JUST CAN'T REMEMBER IT'S NAME, PEOPLE MAY WELL REMEMBER MY COUSINS, CAROL AND JENNIFER GAMMIDGE, THERE WERE ALSO THE STANSFIELDS, CLARKES, EGGARS, AND COCKERILLS ALL MY RELATIONS, mY NAME IS HOPKINS. PEOPLE MAY BE INTERESTED TO KNOW THAT ABOUT 7 YEARS AGO WHILST WALKING TO VILLA PARK, I WAS PASSING THROUGH ASTON CHURCHYARD AND FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE, DISCOVERED A CROSS IN THE CEMETARY WHICH WAS INSCRIBED PRIVATE STEPHEN EGGAR, WITH HIS REGIMENTAL NUMBER AND THE DATE OF HIS DEATH, WHICH WAS SHORTLY BEFORE MY MOTHERS FIRST BIRTHDAY IN 1920.
I HAVE SINCE DONE SOME RESEARCH AND IT WOULD SEEM THAT HE DIED FROM WOUNDS RECIEVED DURING WW1. i BELIEVE THAT THERE ARE EGGAR RELATIVES STILL AROUND, BUT I HAVE NEVER MET ANY OF THEM.

REGARDS

GEOFF

hI GEOFF
MANY THANKS TO COME STRAIGHT BACK TO ME ,YOU HAVE MADE MY DAY
BY TELLING ME WHOM YOU ARE YES WHERE DO I START THIS CONVERSATION FIRSTLY; YES I DID READ YOUR PREVIOUSLY THREADS AND I DID PUT A REPLY TO YOU
REGARDING MY KNOWLIDGE OF YOUR GRAND PARENTS PERSONALY AND CONFIRMING THE DAY HE TOOK OVER THE WIDDOWS AFTER THE PREVIOUS GATHER DIED
AND HE DONE A VERY GOOD JOB OF IT AND IT WAS SHORTLY AFTER HE HAD TAKEN IT OVER THEY RENAMED THE PUB THE VICTORIA HOTEL
WE ALL THOUGHT [ THAT BEING THE LOCALS] THOUGHT IT WAS A POSH NAME BUT DISOPOINTED BY THEM DOING SO
ON THE SUBJECT OF YOUR COUSINS CAROL AND JENNY WE WAS ALL GREAT FRIENDS AND JENNY WAS MY CHILD HOOD SWEETHEART SHE WAS A PRETY GIRL
BUT SAYING THAT EVEN CAROL THEY WAS BOTH GORGOUIS GIRLS
JENNY WAS LIVING MAINLY OPPERSITE US WITH HER NAN ; MRS GOUGH AND ALBERT AND PHILLISS AND CAROL WAS WITH HER MOM TWO DOORS FROM US
I GOT WIND OF JENNY GETTING MARRIED YEARS LATER AS HER NAN TOLD MY MOTHER TO TELL ME SO I DASHED DOWN TO THE ASTON PARISH CHURCH
TO SEE HER GETY MARRIED I WATCHED FROM A DISTANCE BUT EVENTUALY AS SHE WAS HAVING HER PHOTO TAKEN SHE CAUGHT SIGHT OF ME AND STARED AT ME
I FELT TERRIBLE ABOUT IT THE LADSHE MARRIRD LIVED UP THE NEXT ENTRY TO US THE OTHER SIDE OF THOMPSONS I BELIEVE IT WAS A LAD CALLED COLIN FISHER
STILL THATSLIFE ; AINT IT THE ENTRY WE ALL LIVED UP WAS CROMWELL TERRACE WHICH WAS NEXT TO THE WIDDOWS ARMS
LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING FROM YOU SOON BEST WISHES ASTONIAN;;;

thats good news it's a bit late now, but i have a huge amount of memories of aston and nechells where I was born, Chattaway Street and would love to share them with everyone. I am on facebook geoffopo, and there is a photo of me, perhaps some recognition may be made

kindest regards

geoff

Hi geff
many thanks yet again at the moment i amnot on face book but my daughter is
but i will get around to contacting you in a day or two as i had alot of old friends in nechells area and of corse being cousins to the gamigages
one or two names comes to mind was the cummings family the whills family and the nottingams family they was on aston church rd
and clements rd nechells park rd including chatterway st do you ever recall the old guy the daily mail news paper seller
i used to drink in the old valts by the gas works with the langfords
speak soon ;; astonian ;;;;

Back