• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lewis Badges Hockley

wessex

master brummie
Lewis Badges,and the sister firm White and Lambert.
My mother worked there from 1975 to 1986.I worked casually there from 1976-1983.
Situated in Howard Street Hockley,there were some great characters there at this time.Some still lived locally in Newtown,while others had been moved during the Summer Lane slum clearances to Perry Barr or Kingstanding.
Be nice to hear if anyone has any memories.

Hi,
I have just bought a small (old) badge which was made in Birmingham, does anyone on the site have any information regarding the company that made it?

W. Lewis (Badges) Ltd B'ham

Many Thanks,
Margaret.

How wrong I was to assume that this company was no longer around. Many thanks, brumgum, for the link to their website.

Regards,
Margaret.

This wonderful photo taken by Phyllis Nicklin in 1963 shows Howard Street (near St Georges) with a painted wall sign for W.O. Lewis Badges established in 1832. Presumably the jewellery works entrance was on the other side of the wall.

Such a contrast between that advertising and the bright 1960s advertising posters to the right. For me, Phyllis really captured the rapidly changing times of the period in this one photo with its old advertising, old lampost, dirty brickwork and two 1950's vehicles which contrast brilliantly with the new adverts, newer green car and modern bench in the foreground.

Screenshot_20240223_190402_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Back