• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

leonard nicholls 2nd Bn WORCS Reg

• Thread starter Thread starter JASPERKATE
  • Start date Start date
J

JASPERKATE

hi all
i am a new member of the forum and would like to know if anyone could help me in researching leonard nicholls. He was from Tennant st Edgbaston Birmingham and was killed in action in ww1 as a member of the Worcs regiment.
Does anyone know if there were any obituaries about him in the local press which maybe had a photo?

many thanks

welcome to the forum.

is this your leonard in 1901 in beach st. edgbaston

william nicholls 42 carpenter
ellen 34
ellen l. 17
florrie 13
leonard 11
alice 9
herbert 3

I have checked his details on the CWGC website. I am off to the Somme for a couple of days, so I will see if he is mentioned in the local press when I return on Sunday.

Terry

Here are the family in 1891
Place: Birmingham -Warwickshire
Civil Parish: Birmingham Ecclesiastical Parish: St Johns
Address: 19 Ct 12 Hse Osler St

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born
NICHOLLS William Head M M 37 Joiner(Em'ee) Warwickshire - Tamworth
NICHOLLS Ellen Wife M F 28 - Warwickshire - Birmingham
NICHOLLS Ellen Dau S F 7 Scholar Warwickshire - Birmingham
NICHOLLS Florrie Dau S F 4 - Warwickshire - Birmingham
NICHOLLS Louisa Dau S F 14 - Warwickshire - Birmingham

(Looks like the parents ages have been mis-transcribed on one or other of the census)

Lance Corporal 37330 Leonard Nicholls was killed in action on 15 April 1918 while serving with the 2nd Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment.

Some useful links:
> His entry with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission which shows he has no known grave but is commemorated on the memorial to the Missing at Ploegsteert in Belgium.
> My own page on the Worcesters

The action in which he died was the great German attack now known as the Battle of the Lys. The battalion was defending the village of Meteren (where Bernard Montgomery, then with the Warwicks, was wounded in 1914). There is a good history of his Division (33rd) which describes the action.

Back