• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ledsam street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi mike when time permits could i have a map please showing back of 40 ledsam street...it was the address given at the time of my grandads baptism in 1888..just found it on ancestry

thanks mike

lyn

Lyn
Hope this c 1955 map is OK. Have marked 1 back 40 Ledsam st. There was only 1 back house at no 40 The whole place at the back of the yard was 2 back 42

map_c_1955_showing_1_back_no_40_Ledsam_st.jpg

Just posted about Cregoe Street where my Mom was living when she was two. She was actually born at 92 Ledsam Street; do you have a map of the bit Mike?

The reason I am confused is that her elder brother was born two years before in 1897 at 6 Eden Place, Guildford Street. But sometime after 1897 the family lived in then in Ledsam Street. My Mom was born there in 1899. Then in 1901 in Cregoe Street, then in 1907, when Mom's first younger brother died, back in Eden Place? From then until at least 1922 the family were living a 6 Eden Place, Guildford Street. Mom's dad was a cabinet maker, so perhaps it was something to do with his work.

Michael.
Below is a map c 1959 showing 92 Ledsam St, close to the junction with St Vincent St and next to the Ladywood House pub. In the 1897 Kellys it is listed as Mrs Mary Lancaster, greengrocer, and the Midland Railway Co parcels receiving office. In 1899 it is listed as Thomas Harry Crompton, greengrocer.

Attachments

• map c 1955 showing 92 Ledsam St.jpg
    map c 1955 showing 92 Ledsam St.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 53
Hi Mike,and michael
mike which angle did you photo copy the old map of ledsam street
as i knew of ledsam street from the early fifties i lived down and around a couple of streets
from there and the way i am loking at it was that the old picture house was on the right hand o ledsam street walking down
from the monument rd end heading for grt tindal street
when we was kids we used to go in those houses after the war years looking for items like helmets and gas maskes
getting back to mikes request regarding his rellies family the house you marked in red which is correct
but i would like to say about the picture house on the mapp is oppersite side
so i presume yes you have it on the original map for that period
but in the fiftys they must have demolished it and rebuilt it on the same side of michaels family house in the red block you have done
which is great
as i said they rebuilt it across the road from the original sight and i would like to point out to you both
about a thread done before about the paint shop on ledsam street which i had put and also sombody else in time gone bye
that only did his family live yards from the bomb makers shop
but afew yards further from the shop was the new picture house was built along the road from there house in ledsam street

I Have down loaded the picture house ,on ledsam street for that period and for the 1950s which they only changed there name to ledsam street picture house , best wishes Alan,, Astonian,,
scan.png

Once again, many thanks. My grandfather and great grandfather were both Francis Harry Crompton. My great grandmother ran a grocers later in Guildford Street so that seems to be the clue to my Mom's family living there.

Hi mike
further to your other map and for michael
here is a photograph of the said ladywood pub and its states excactly what you told michael
mikejee, you are the topsscan0002.png

t
Thanks Alan. Have not seen that photo before. Number 92 would, I think be the house with what looks like a white notice by the door.

Back