• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lea Marston: Victoria Cross !

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
Hello folks,

I would like to bring to your attention a little story of a soldier in the Canadian Infantry who was awrded the Victoria Cross in World War 1. The soldier in question is Pte Cecil John Kinross and he was awarded the V.C. for heroic deeds during the Battle of Passchendaele in the autumn of 1917. If you 'Google' his name in the internet you will get several accounts of his life and his drink related problems in later life etc. He was born in Uxbridge, Middlesex and his father came from Scotland. However, no mention is ever made of his childhood and teenage years growing up near the village of Lea Marston, before his family emigrated to Canada in 1912.
The following account is taken from the Birmingham Weekly Post published on 23 February 1918:

LEA MARSTON'S V.C.: VILLAGE WELCOME AND PRESENTATION

The inhabitants of Lea Marston, Curdworth, Minworth, and Wythall gave a public reception on Saturday to Pte Cecil John Kinross, of the Canadian Infantry, upon his gaining the Victoria Cross. Pte Kinross was greeted at Water Orton Station by relatives and friends, and was carried shoulder high to a waiting motor-car, in which he made a tour of the parishes named, the procession being headed by the Sutton Park Military Band, children from the Lea Marston School, and boys from the Coleshill Grammer School, at both of which Pte Kinross was educated.
Pte Kinross was born at Uxbridge in 1895, but he spent his early years at Lea Marston, where his father, before emigrating to Canada, farmed the Lea Farm and the Hollies.
"Shortly after the attack was launched the company to which he belonged came under intense artillery fire, and further advance was held by severe fire from an enemy machine-gun. Pte Kinross, making a careful survey of the situation, divested himself of his equipment save his rifle and bandolier, and, regardless of his personal safety, advanced over the open ground in broad daylight, charged the enemy machine-gun, killing the crew of six, and seized and destroyed the gun. He thus enabled a further advance of 300 yards to be made and a highly important position to be established, fighting with the utmost aggressiveness against heavy odds until seriously wounded."

The villagers gave the hero a great reception, and at Lea Marston School he was presented with a gold watch, suitably inscribed, a gold chain, a wallet containing Treasury notes, and an illuminated address, which expressed admiration of his heroic conduct in a just and righteous cause. The total value of the gifts was about £90.
Pte Kinross, who has suffered from three severe wounds, and is on ten days hospital leave, briefly tendered his thanks for the unexpected gifts.

Now, the big question is are there any of Pte Kinross's relatives still living in Birmingham/North Warwickshire?

What a wonderful account of a little known hero Terry. Yes it would be great to find any surviving relatives. Thanks for posting the information.

I would say that there could be a very good chance of finding family on his mothers side....Emily nee Hull, born Kingsbury cira 1871, she married James Stirling Kinross born Scotland cira 1865 in Tamworth in 1891.....,

What a great find Terry, I realy enjoyed reading the story.

I'm not sure if people on the forum know, this but a few months ago on Dec 2nd, 96 of the 'War Medals' earned by NZ hero's including nine Victoria Crosses and donated to the NZ National Army Museum were stolen.
As you may realise the collection was priceless in $'s to the thieves placed on 'The right market' .
However even more so to the country not in money terms, but in many other ways.... The good news is we now have got them all back after
a $300,000 reward - the largest in New Zealand - was offered by British medal collector Lord Michael Ashcroft and an anonymous New Zealand businessman.
Believe it or not though, it seems the thieves have ended up with some of the reward money 'an undisclosed amount'... Although I agree with getting them back at any price, I hate the thought that these despicable people will benefit in such a way from their actions.

Pom :angel:

Just a little more about this great hero Cecil Kinross. Here in Canada there are many Legion Halls where men and women who serve and did service in
wars where Canada was involved would meet and socialize. There is one in Alberta named for Cecil Kinross. A great honour but then the Victoria Cross
is the highest honour. https://www.peakfinder.com/showpeakbyid.asp?MtnId=514

Kinross 1901 Census

The 1901 Census return for the Kinross family;

Dewes Farm, Harefield, Middlesex

James Kinross, Farmer, 36, born Scotland
Emily, 30, born Kingsbury, Warwickshire
Cecil John, 5, born Harefield
James H, 1, born Harefield.

So Mom was originally from Kingsbury/Lea Marston and they must have moved back there after 1901.

Interestingly there is also listed there a 'Mothers Help' Elizabeth Stafford aged 31 who was also born in Kingsbury

1881 Census re Kinross

His Mom was Emily Hull; In 1881 she was with her parents at Hurley, Warwickshire

Father was John a butcher and farmer born Rugeley
Mom was Mary born Leicester

Children Annie (12), Emily (10), George (7), Jessie (3) all born
Hurley

Interesting note; There is another son on census, Harry Stafford aged 13. It says he was born Hurley as well. Presume Mary had been married before or child before marriage?

John Hull married Mary Stafford in Atherstone 1866. If Harry really was 13 he would have been born 1867/8. Assume this is wrong and we find a Hary Stafford born 1865 Billesdon which is a district of Leicester - where Mary was from.

Also - remember the 'mothers help' on the 1901 census...,,Elizabeth Stafford! What relation was she? The plot thickens!

There must be relatives in the area from all that lot

Steve

Cecil Kinross Brother

The brother of Cecil Kinross was James Hector; He died aged 10 and is buried at St John the Baptist, Lea Marston. Died in 1910 shortly before the family left for Canada

Steve

Kinross grave and Dad

Me again, but I keep finding things out about our Kinross chappy!

There is an account on www.findagrave.com which gives a pic of him and his grave at Lougheed, nr Alberta, Canada.

It states, however, that he lied about his age in order to join army and that his Dad was not James Stirling Kinross but another man called Donald Kinross. This makes no sense as we have his census return clearly putting him on the farm with James......????

Not sure of the source of this account but it is in quite detail. Am I reading it wrong or what?

Steve

Thanks for the replies folks.

Steve C ... I have attched a copy of C J kinross's attestation paper from the Canadian Archives written in his own hand. As you can see his father was James Stirling Kinross.

Regards

Terry

I have taken a shot in the dark and sent an e mail to the person who wrote the biography on Find a Grave

Meanwhile I have established that James and Donald Kinross were brothers - both sons of John and Elizabeth from Perth.

So it could be that the James S is actually uncle to Cecil - I'll see if I get a response from the Find Grave man

Hi Terry,this must sound like a late reply but i`m new and there`s so much to catch up on!.It`s so good to see a little bit of local history connecting with a VC holder.My passion is medal collecting-though i`m no expert and a relative new commer (about 10 years). I focus on WW1 and local men inparticular-R.War.Reg. etc.I have a neighbour who is 87 years young, he fought in Italy during WW2 and suffered "battle fatigue" which took him out of the front line.Both Arthur and his wife have been like family to my family for 28 yeard.Arthur,knowing my passion for medals/military history/ww1/R.War.Reg. ect. for many years, said to me one day ago out of the blue - about 3 years now,"Oh, by the way, my uncle won the Victoria Cross during the first world war".He went on to explain to me that his mother`s brother was Arthur "Titch" Vickers who won his VC during the battle of Loos i believe.He still has vivid memories of visiting him regularly of a Sunday afternoon!Footnote to this story, i`m trying to pursuade Arthur to apply for replacement medals from the M.O.D.He threw his medals away because he felt insulted that they weren`t named to him (i spoke to him last night, he said "balance the cost of naming medals against the ultimate cost that so many soldiers paid" ).I honestly believe he has a point. Sorry to drag on Terry, best regards - Kevin.

Hi Kevin

Thanks for the reply. I believe Vickers medals were donated to the Royal Warwicks museum after his death. My understanding is that the Regiment helped him through some difficult times on the understanding the medals were left to them.

Terry

Last edited:
Ed Dixon who lives in Clackmannanshire,the county Cecil Kinross is erroneously listed as being born in by "Monuments To Courage" ",Register of the Victoria Cross" etc etc.has recently created his own "Web Site"which is more or less dedicated to the 1st W.W.In his site there is a most excellent aricle on Cecil Kinross which contains a lot of information not yet posted on "Forum"
Link is https//sitesgoogle.com/site/eddixonhome/Home

Sorry folks the link I put in for Ed Dixons site does not seem to be working as a link.If you google eddixonhome it will bring up site.Perhaps some thing simple I didn't do right
Pembroke

Lovely pictures and an interesting thread. We have been to Lea Marston Hotel which I believe was the original farm, not to be confused with the leisure center a totally different place.

Back