• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lapel Union Badges

mary woodroffe

proper brummie kid
Hallo, I am doing research into my grandfather and he had a Lapel Union Badge with the Metropolitan, Saltley works. Would like to know more about this badge. Many Thanks Maryimg158.jpg

Hallo dwilly, Thank you for your reply. I have contacted the site you mentioned and a gentleman sent some information from the book "Metro-Cammell 150 years of craftsmanship". I wanted to know about the union which was there. In 1913 there was a strike which supported the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Works. There was a hunger march from Birmingham to Liverpool which took 16 days. it ended after 11 weeks to the satisfaction of the unions, management and workforce. !n 1914 the First World war Started. It is about the union I wanted information on. The lapel badge has the word "committee" on the bottom. Regards Mary

Hi

Yep looks like a Works Committee Badge to me. These consisted of Elected representatives from the Various
departments who regularly met a management committee at Kynochs the one I was on it was monthly.

They differed from the Union side. They covered wages and conditions whilst the Works Committee covered General
areas Health Safety and the Social side.

They gradually disappeared mainly with the Joint Union Committees from the 1970,s.

Mike Jenks

Back