• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

L/C James Christian Shelley, Worcs. Reg.

theodore

master brummie
Seeking information on James C. Shelley. Born 1890 Birmingham and married Alice M.N. Dallaway in 1913. Father and mother could be John Shelley and Lizzie. Possible children Amanda b.1921, Dulcie V. b. 1923, Gladys A. b. 1925 and James C. b. 1927. James served in the Worcestershire Regiment and the Labour Corps during WW1 and it's his army service details that I'm seeking.

Regards

Peter

Corporal 11803 James Christian Shelley embarked for service in France with 2nd Battalion, the Worcestershire Regiment, on 12 August 1914. He was either a serving regular or a reservist who had been mobilised on 5 August.

He was later transferred to the Labour Corps and numbered as 413784. By the end of the war he was a Sergeant.

He qualified for the 1914 Star, British War and Victory Medals.

There appears to have been an enquiry about his service in 1981/2 (from a relative, almost certainly).

Can't tell if his service record has survived as the S's are still on microfilm at Kew.

Hope that helps!

Hi Chris,

Thank you for the information. I have found details on the IWM documents collection for a fictionalised biography of him by his daughter Dulcie Shelley. I have contacted the IWM for a copy of the document and waiting for their reply.

Regards
Peter

Back