• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kynoch Works, Witton - 1961 images

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
A number of images of the Witton site have recently come to light. I am posting small versions of these in this thread. I have uploaded magnified images to my website and they can be viewed HERE.

I should be very grateful if members with a better knowledge of the site than I could identify particular buildings (and anything else on the city skyline). For ease of reference, the individual number of each picture is contained within the file reference for each image - nos. 1-9 - and the website images are numbered similarly.

Could any comments specifically about these images be posted in this thread, please. Any other, more general comments about Kynoch should continue to be posted in the main Kynoch thread on this Forum, HERE.

1-4 first

Thanks.

Chris

KB1.jpg
KB2.jpg
KB3.jpg
KB4.jpg

Last edited:
hi

Very Nostalgic of the Sports ground. Almost taste the Beer and those hours on the Snooker Tables.
are the views taken from the Office Block. Amazing

Mike Jenks

Yes, Mike, all from the central office block, top floor. Everyone I have spoken to has fond memories of the sports field; and then, even if they worked in the same block with similar views, don't seem to be able to recognise much else - but I suppose it IS 50+ years ago!

I'm hoping to receive a site map and will post it if I do.

Chris

Hi

Well here goes. I walked this plant for Mile up on mile Chris. Ill try. A good start is
the scenes with Witton Cementry overlooking the site and the Brookvale Entrance

Mike Jenks

In Image 1, I can see the Forgings & Presswork office block where I first started work. It is just to the left of the black water tower at the Birch Rd/Wyrley Rd junction, and the allotments can be seen behind where the M6 runs now.

Thanks both. Don't forget to use the link in my first post to see magnified versions of the images.

Chris

The building in picture 6 on your link Chris, the one on the right hand edge with the white bus parked outside is the Canteen, and the small one story building on the sports field is the School where we went on Day Release courses. The Pavillion holds lots of memories, Saturday night dances and an orange special on a hot day. It had an easy access and one memorabe night there was a rumour that the 'Teds' were coming, and the Works Police were called in.

I recognise most of it but it is so long ago that I can't name very much.

Image 5, the high building that cuts into the skyline on the left is an office block that was built in the 50's, it rehoused offices in the huts that are dotted round the site. Supply department where I worked was given two floors, eight and nine I think.

Image 2 the nissen hut in the foreground was Charles Dodgson's office. He borrowed me one year and I spent a pleasand month there working out the apprentice's bonus's

Thanks very much for all the contributions to date. I shall use them to make suitable additions to the website page in due course.

Some further information which I have recently received independently of the Forum might be of interest to everyone. It reads as follows:

Image1. Central Stores, to its right the Scrap Yard.
Image3. Strip Mill, the smoke coming from their foundry.
Image5. Bond Trades (central) Oscott Canteen to the right,
further up the road the Dentists.
Image6. Foreground Research Creep Station, above that
the Squash Courts (built by apprentice trades),
Far right Holford Sheet Mill.
Image8. Lightning Fastener, beyond that the Loading Field.
Image9. Titanium 1, the white building to the right the
Beryllium building , later part used for Super
Conductor production

Keep the information coming, please!!!

Chris

Hi Chris

Have now printed off the Pictures. It seems a Panoramic sweep from the Top off the Office Block
Am I right there appears to be 2 areas not covered.
1) the end of the Zip works thro to the Edge of the Sports ground. That would cover
the Rod Mill and the Apprentice School.

2) The end of the Ammuntion areas ABC and D Factories into Well Head Lane.

Other than that all the Photos join up into a 360 deg.

Ive found a lot on Google earth. A fair amount is still there. Ill try and build up some bits
and Bobs.

Mike Jernks

I was just having a look at the photos on this thread as I went to Birchfield Road Junior school and we used to go to the playing fields off Holford Drive sometimes. I couldn't remember the way we walked exactly but I think it might have been up Wellhead Lane and then through a little drive somewhere.

Anyway, I thought I'd have a look at the area on Google Street level (I notice quite a bit of the land is now Birmingham City University) and I see that at the end of Franchise Street there are three buildings with gates that look as though they might have been part of Kynochs - maybe gatehouses?

Sorry - I am no good at posting links so I don't know how to link to the Google image!

Edit to add; The two houses each side of the other building are boarded up - what a shame they can't be used.

I have at long last pulled together all (or most - there is one thing pending) of the contributions from a number of sources providing identification of the various buildings on the Witton site. The result is an updated version of the original web page, here: https://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/KOtherInformationKynochV2Eimages.htm

I should be very grateful if those members who contributed via this thread could check through to ensure I have got everything right; and also let me know if there is further information to add. There are one or two views, for example, where we have nothing as yet.

I'm very grateful for the trouble which members have gone to in order to provide this information.

Thanks.

Chris

hello i worked in the lightening fasteners in the devolpment tool room..making the slider ass machines..it was a great job ,the picture is no 9

Back