• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kynoch - Deaths during WW2 - Constance Polley

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
In the Witton factory there used to stand a memorial to all those employees who lost their lives during WW2, both military and civilian. I attach an image of that memorial. (Let us hope that it has survived the general demolition of the site). The image is large enough to magnify significantly and you need to click on it a couple of times to be able to read names

I am interested in one name in particular: Miss C. Polley. Her Christian name was Constance and her home was in Hampshire where she is buried. She lost her life on May 27, 1944 in unknown circumstances. Her name is just about discernible on the memorial image.

I think that the only way of tracing her would be to consult the relevant Birmingham newspapers (as and when they become accessible again) but I am wondering if any member has, by some miracle, knowledge of the incident leading to this girl's death. My guess would be a munitions accident as the most likely cause but that is pure conjecture.

Thanks.

Chris

Attachments

• KynochMemorial039w1250.jpg
    KynochMemorial039w1250.jpg
    541.9 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Hi ChrisM

There is a public tree on Ancestry with Constance Hypatia Polley born 16 Sept 1921 died 27 May 1944 if you contacted the tree owner they may be able to help you.

bewdley

Thanks for that suggestion, bewdley.

If progress is made with this enquiry, I'll post the outcome.

Chris

An update.

In raising this query I was trying to help a local history researcher in Hampshire. Prompted by bewdley I was able to track down the nephew of the unfortunate lady and to put him and the researcher in touch with each other.

Constance Hypatia (Pat) Polley was buried in Crookham, near Fleet in Hampshire. On her grave is a plaque with the inscription: KILLED ON DUTY MAY 27TH 1944 PRESENTED BY HER FELLOW WORKERS OF I.C.I. METALS. The Hampshire historian tells me:

I found a couple of articles in the local paper dated June 2 and 9. The first described her death as a tragic accident which happened in the early hours of Saturday 27th May 1944, whilst she was engaged in war work. Apparently she joined the firm two and half years earlier, from a position in Edinburgh. She was born in Fleet and attended a local private school called Eriva Dene (no longer there). At the funeral, apart from her direct family, some representatives from ICI Metals attended, as follows: Mr. Knight, Miss Parker and Miss Haydon. Constance was engaged to a Private Ivan MacCullum, Canadian Forces.​

So it sounds as though Pat Polley was working the Friday/Saturday night shift at Witton, almost certainly on munitions, when she met with this accident. The memory within the family is that it was the result of an explosion which in turn was possibly caused by a momentary act of carelessness on her part. It is not known whether anyone else was a casualty. The only other possibility of finding out more is to research the Birmingham newspapers of the time and the IMI Archive, all currently tucked away in the Central Library and therefore inaccessible for the time being.

Chris

Last edited:
Can anyone advise me please how accessible are Birmingham inquest reports for the 1940s? Central Library again or can they be seen elsewhere?

Thanks.

Chris

Can anyone advise me please how accessible are Birmingham inquest reports for the 1940s? Central Library again or can they be seen elsewhere?

Thanks.

Chris

hi chris i had to do this myself the year before last for family research..from memory if the case is 65 years old or over you can obtain copies of any inquests or the findings of post mortams including witness statements if as in my case the death was suspicious or sudden.. this is providing the death was not a case of suicide or a death in police custody in which case its a closed case and getting the info will be denied....cost me £11 then and was well worth it as i found out info about my family that i had no idea of...you will need to get in touch with the coroners office in newton st city centre..tel no is 0121 303 3920...you will have to check this but i think that you maybe able to see the reports at the central library but if you want copies you must contact the coroners office...

hope this helps

lyn

Last edited:
Back