• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

KRRC - Anthony Rogers Reg. No. 10558

smtr

master brummie
Hi

I visited the National Archives on Wednesday to look at the details on my Grandfather's SWB card.

He enlisted 17.2.1912 and was discharged (Wounds KR P392 XViA KR AO 18/9) 07.03.1919.
The unit he was discharged from was ICD Tipperary.

Can anyone enlighten me more on the unit he was discharged from please, what they were doing there and also would the wounds he suffered be from his time in Ireland?

Thanks

Suzanne

It's "Infantry (or possibly Irish) Command Depot", a military convalescent camp.

The place where he received his wounds would rather depend on the unit he was with at the time. Do you know (perhaps from his medal roll entry) know what it was?

Hi Chris

Thanks for that. Unfortunately his medal card just states Pte KRRC.
Date of entry into France 20.12.14.
He had a SWB and certificate B294414.

Thanks anyway.

Suzanne

There's an easy way to move this forward. His medal index card gives you references to his entries in the medal rolls. They will give you his battalion(s). The rolls are not online, but are held at the National Archives. Once you have his battalion, you can find his movements from their history and may even be able to determine when he was wounded.

Thanks Chris and Terry for your help.

Looks like I need to plan another jaunt to Kew! Wish I'd asked for help before my last trip there to advise me exactly what I might find.

Oh well, it's all part of the learning curve.

Suzanne

Back