• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

King Edwards Road Ladywood

I remember King Edwards Rd very well Lyn. My Stepmother's sister lived at No 147 and actually they were better houses than the one's where I lived off Icknield St. They had a back and front room, 2 bedroom's on the level and an attic. A garden was also a feature.

Lovely photo Lyn. I used to know quite a few that lived in King Edwards Road, when I worked in Hockley. Their houses were like little palaces! My great great grandfather had a pub there in 1851 - a little too early for photos, sadly.

Charlie, did you notice the line of nappies on that great pic? You don't see that these day's.

thanks charlie and maggs..ive said it before and i will say it again just because some of the housing was not fantastic most folk did their best on what they had to make them nice..my nans back to back where i was born was as shiney as a new pin as was the neighbours...

lyn

I think the majority of people kept their homes as spotless as they could in those old houses Lyn. It wasn't easy being surrounded by factories and thing's like having to have the coal in a cellar under the living room's. We didn't even have a cellar door, so imagine the dust that must have flown up the step's every time the coal man delivered.

Charlie, did you notice the line of nappies on that great pic? You don't see that these day's.

oh maggs i didnt notice the nappies...too busy posting the pic lol...how well i remember our mom using the terry towling ones...they got boiled and boiled and then at least 3 rinses after..

lyn

Well Lyn, they looked like nappies. Gosh it wasn't only your mum using terry nappies for her babe's, I did for mine. All that boiling in the Burco, rinsing and then putting through the rubber roller wringer. I used to sing 'Tide Clean'... an old advert on TV at the time.

hi guys
i lived in the posh end of king edwards rd at 243 and there is pictures of kingedwards rd fom monument rd and you can see kirby family bussiness yard
with there big lorry i do not know where you are coming from when you say they was poor states because beleive me theu was in good conditons and we had a cellar below the living what rubbish they had celler head doors on with stepos going down and the no nonsense of coal dust coming up from the celler
you want to go and see what nonsence the council planners have done today with king edwards rd lady wood i have taken picture its a right destruction and on earh can these people live in such cramped conditions there was a commutity in those days we did not have poor housing conditions ickneild square annd the surrounding streets was but king edwards road
they was decent propertys i think you have got your facts wrong ; astonian by the way charlie what pub was your relative running ; astonian

it was orinionaly cambrige st orininaly and th public works det used to be facing the pub any years ago n th fiftys and the gathers was te newby family during the mid fifties the son was my friend
they later moved to victoria rd aston
ment of the area cambride stret became a change in the end and the redevelpment it became a extention of king edwards rd any years go but since the icc it may have changed again

Astonian: Lyn, Maggs and I were saying how most of the folk in back to backs kept them like little palaces. My great great grandfather kept the Tindal Arms - just about where the Sea Life Centre is now. A long long time ago! Maggs: My kids also wore terry nappies. Sluice 'em, steep in nappy cleaner in a bucket under the sink, then boil 'em. I don't know how people afford Pampers these days, have you seen the price?! The Prince of Wales in Cambridge Street is a lovely pub - though small. I'd suggest it for a BHF meet, but it IS small and is usually very busy. A min-meet perhaps?

sorry charlie i now remember you saying about the tindal arms pub..its just come back to me lol...a mini meet at the prince of wales sounds good...will be in touch soon

lyn

I walked down King Edwards Road this morning and took some photos. There is an old wall on the Cambridge Street / King Edwards Road border that still exists. The rest of it is all modern, including the NIA.

Astonian: Lyn, Maggs and I were saying how most of the folk in back to backs kept them like little palaces. My great great grandfather kept the Tindal Arms - just about where the Sea Life Centre is now. A long long time ago! Maggs: My kids also wore terry nappies. Sluice 'em, steep in nappy cleaner in a bucket under the sink, then boil 'em. I don't know how people afford Pampers these days, have you seen the price?! The Prince of Wales in Cambridge Street is a lovely pub - though small. I'd suggest it for a BHF meet, but it IS small and is usually very busy. A min-meet perhaps?

Charlie, Did I bring back happy memories then? No, how do they afford those nappies. I keep saying that if they all go into landfil sites, one day there will be a big explosion, and they will all be on the moon.

hi guys
try walking down the ld end of king edwards rd which was the posh end before redelvelents
the small end of king edwards rd that takes you down to the steward school and stour steet a complete bungle up
but there again if you did not it then it wou;ld not sink home to you about he state it is totally distroyed
astonian

After the bit near the NIA ended, I walked onto Summer Hill Road, then I turned down Goodman Street, only to find another section of King Edwards Road. Found a housing development from the 70s (I think). That bit leads all the way to Ladywood Middleway.

Photos are up of King Edwards Road from this morning.

The old wall on the (current) Cambridge Street - King Edwards Road border (the maps are confusing)

IET Birmingham - Austin Court, Cambridge Street by ell brown, on Flickr

Road signs for Cambridge Street and King Edwards Road

Cambridge Street and King Edwards Road - road signs on the old wall by ell brown, on Flickr

Old wall on the Cambridge Street - King Edwards Road border - The NIA by ell brown, on Flickr

Old wall on the Cambridge Street - King Edwards Road border by ell brown, on Flickr

To be the above looks like all that is left from demolished back-to-back houses that was once here.

Views of the modern King Edwards Road down past The NIA

From the Tindal Bridge

Tindal Bridge over the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal, King Edwards Road, Ladywood - The NIA by ell brown, on Flickr

Going further down - car park to The NIA is on the left

King Edwards Road, Ladywood - looking down by ell brown, on Flickr

Looking up. The Tindal Bridge is at the top now.

King Edwards Road, Ladywood - looking up by ell brown, on Flickr

At the bottom, before I crossed over St Vincent Street

King Edwards Road, Ladywood - looking up by ell brown, on Flickr

I crossed over St Vincent Street and took one more view - with the roundabout

King Edwards Road, Ladywood - round about - looking up by ell brown, on Flickr

Had an accident in my car in my car late 50`s it was taken to a garage in King Edwards Rd for repair, the garage was owned by a man named Sefton? or Sephton? who did car racing? what type i cannot remember, does any one know of this garage?. Len.

Hi len
i can recall the garage in king dwards rd and the racing cars i used to see it every day as i lived alng the road
it would have been facing the car park exit of that icc centre which is in king edwards rd ;
and it was the first rd passing nelson street and the rd one before edward rd but for the love nor money i just cannot think of the name of the garage
nor the name of the rd which you would go down to the lyric picture house for the saturday crush morning mattnee ;
may be cookie and recall it i beleive he came from nelson street mind you i have only just got up but may be abit later it will cometo me ;
there was three garages in king edwards rd one at the top which was cambridge rd which was the continuation of king edwards rd coming down the hill passing edwards rd incidentley there was houses on that hill i remember the birches family just before edward rd
then there was a lightinting company and this rd which the garage was on the corner with his racing car
this rd if you walked down would have taken you to the sand pitts as well and the king edwars pub ;
reggie should recall this garage ; or even may be mossy ;
have a good day len ; best wishes astonian

Hi len;
just to add on the other repair garage w3as in the lower king edwards rd facing our house
there was clewis bike and petrol services and fore court ; a chap named wade worked for hom a german origin
then next to him was the rowe family car repairs ; which was right next to the kirby familys rag and bone yard
but the one with his petrol fore court and repairs was the one i have just previously mention on the previos thread
i am still trying to remembe the name of the rd which corner it was on but yes it was king edwards rd i worked and played there and went to the schools there but i just cannot think of the dammed name of that street there was also a small pub down that rd all in dirty brown wood work
some one whom may remember that ;and at the moment i can only thinkod cookie and reggie or ron ; can resolve the names ; best wishes astonian

Hi len ;
just spotted the island tht elbow as put on ad thats the last one the garage you are mentioning would have been on the very left hand of the picture
of the very island where the first part of the building commenced ; astonian

Back