• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

King Edward Sixth elementary/middle schools

edscriv

Interested in any info regarding the above in the 1870s. My grandfather, William Henry Thonger, was a pupil at King Edward Sixth elementary and middle schools 1876-79 (including Meriden school). Son of a carpenter, I wonder how he got in – exam/interview? Class lists note that most pupils were paying 4/- (per week or month?). He seemed to do well, but left at 14 in 1879, the only boy in his class to do so. Why, I wonder? Grateful for any insights on the schools set-up then, or guidance to helpful links.

By Meriden do you mean the school that was originally in Meriden Street Digbeth?

If so try here
Thank you Janice. I have visited that site, and a few others linked to the school. Just casting my net a bit wider, particularly hoping to find out more about how pupils got to be accepted at Meriden Street etc, and how the finances worked.

Back