• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kilby and Leach, 23 Lord Street, Ashted

Poppie11

My Father's family the Leachs lived in Brunswick Road, Balsall Heath (my Grandfather Charles Sidney Leach was born there in 1895) and they owned a company called Kilby and Leach based at 23 Lord Street, Ashted, Birmingham, which I believe was a Curriers.

I would love to know more about this Company and perhaps who the Kilby was?

by looking at the 1911 census i have found that the "kilby" was charles edward kilby born in aston in 1862. he lived at 19 prestbury rd. aston with his wife florence b. aston 1861 and children florence ellen kilby b. 1890, gertrude cecilia rose kilby b. 1897 and kathleen elizabeth clare kilby b. 1899. 2 more children had already died.

charles edward kilby is listed as an employer, currier (leather) so i think he must be the right one.

Poppie
Company is listed in Kellys as follows:

1903-21 Kilby & Leach, curriers, 23 Lord street
1932-1943 Kilby & Leach, curriers, 23 (back of) Lord street
1943 - Not listed, nor address.

1900 Brisband Luke, stampers & piercers , 23 (back of) Lord street (Nothing listed for front no 23) The firm was listed here till 1915, but not in 1921

The 1901 census lists Charles E Kilby as a currieer, employer, as is john leach, your g grandfather.So the chances are the firm was up and running in 1901. the only point is that the Leach’s address is given as 130 Mary St , not in Brunswick Rd
Mike

Mary st is in Balsall heath, but the other side of moseley road going from Balsall Heath road to Edgebaston rd . It is still there, though no old buildings survive. Below is a map showing the position of no 130. The street running across the map is Edward road

map_c_1916__showing_130_mary_st.jpg

Back