• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Records

clarkie

Exiled Brummie
My great x3 grandfather Thomas Clarke was I believe born in Birmingham in 1785, this was established after eliminating the other 11 born around that time.

The death has been another issue but if I could establish his age at burial it might help?

I think a likely burial might be at Key Hill 1848 – 5945 - F 72, would the record include the age?

There are also a number of possible burials for his wife Ann, would it follow that she would be in the same section in 1859 – 7696 - F 596.

If I could resolve this brickwall I then have a clear line of Ancestry in Birmingham back to the 1500s.

Clarkie

This is now completed, I contacted Handsworth Cemetery and they kindly supplied the ages of the Key Hill burials I was looking for, sadly the bricks are still in place.

Clarkie

Hi Janice,
Not entirely, I think Thomas Clarke born about 1784, died age 45, burial 9 Dec 1829 St Martin, abode
Warwick St & Ann Clarke born about 1794, died age 30, burial 5 Dec 1824 St Martin, abode Bradford St,
are both possibilities.
The main problem with Thomas is that his eldest son Samuel remarried in 1856, the record states that his father Thomas was a Metal Dealer. In 1817 he was a Button Burnisher, no issue with the change of occupation but the long gap between 1829 & 1856.
There is a burial at St Martin in 1848, that Thomas was born 1783, abode workhouse but I think he was on the 1841 census, a Huxster in Congreve St. So if this Huxster happened to deal in metal, he could be a possibility, however his two sons were both in the area so I think he would more likely to have lived with one of them.

Regards
Colin

Hi Colin, I recently found the burial of my great grandfather after years of searching! They had put an "E" on his surname in the register and I hadn't checked for other spelling as it's a short name.
I've had a look at other "Clarks" just in case but without success....yet!
rosie.

Hi Rosie,
My Clarke name is still a problem today, as my cousin mentioned future wives are trained to say now you are a Clarke with an E.
I've discounted the ones I have found without an E. I guess there is always the possibility that the record did not survive.

Regards
Colin

Colin
The reason for asking was I found a burial for an Ann Clarke (born abt 1750) - widow of Thomas at St Philips 1st December 1850 - address was Cheapside. However, I couldn't find a burial there for a Thomas I thought fitted the bill.
There is a Thomas Clark (no E) born abt 1787 and buried at St Philips May 1841 address York Street
Janice

Hi Janice,
Thanks for your reply, I had seen that one Ann was the Widow of Thomas. He was a builder. Abode Cheapside.

Colin

Janice, the other Thomas was I thought, for a number of years, was the correct one, I traced all his family and his parents etc, then I discovered he was the wrong one.

Colin

Hi Janice,
I've been at this for quite a few years without success, I am clearly missing something, so I am very grateful for your interest. It has made me to take another look at some of my old notes.

I've known about Ann below for sometime and I think it is a slim possibility she may be the wife of Thomas.
1841 Ann Clarke 54 Russell St, a Shop Woman & 1851, Widow 65 born Birmingham 1786,
Russell St, a Stamper. I think her mother may have been Mary, she had 3 daughters but no father noted on baptisms!

I believe Russell St was in the Loveday St, Weaman Row area near St Mary Whittall St. but perhaps Mike will let me know otherwise.

There is a burial at St Mary Whittall St in September 1840, Thomas Clark, with maybe a faded e. The age is assumed as 33 but as it is slightly faded I think it could be 55 but it might be wishful thinking on my part. His abode Moland St. Sadly there are two GRO index's in the period.

Regards

Colin

It can be so frustrating as over time you forget what you have checked and eliminated. Then you go round in circles and give up for a while before coming back with renewed enthusiasm. I will keep my eye out for info.

Janice

Back