• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

key hill cemetery

• Thread starter Thread starter clareharvey800
  • Start date Start date
C

clareharvey800

hello everyone,, its cheeky clare from wales again...

i was wondering if anyone was popping to key hill cemetery in the near future,,

i have information regarding my g. grandmothers grave, but the only info i have is the plot number, so i was hoping maybe one of you nice people could have a little nose for me when you next go there yourself...i would be very very grateful.... the lady from handworth cemetery couldnt tell me if there was a head stone, AND not even a date of burial,,

anyway her name was maria evans and she died in sep of 1859.. plot
number B 193

thanks folks.. sorry to be so cheeky...

i was intending on coming up to birmingham on friday just gone, but was snowed in... i havent got a weekend off work now for another month sigh sigh....

clare x

I was round there today and it looks like some work is going on, at the entrance

Terry

Hanco this is work on the restoration of the Grade 2 listed gates and pillars at the cemetery entrance on Ickneild Street. The gates were removed in November and are to be re cast ready for re-hanging once the pillars are restored. I am so surprised that there has been little published to inform the public about this massive undertaking. It would be nice to see a notice to visitors explaining what is being done and that the cemetery can only be accessed by the Key Hill entrance. I find it unbelievable that such an exciting local project has not had more publicity. This seems to be a problem with cemeteries in this country and I don't know why.:(

I have to agree with you Wendy. I did'nt go over and look to see if any notice was up. I was passing when I noticed the work going on so I stopped to take a picture.

Terry

Hi all ..why is it that Key Hill cemetery and others do not get more recognition ?and why is it not publicised more.. are the powers that be?? afraid they might offend some of us ordinary people:)we should know more about this type of thing as it is part of our Birmingham history :)the friends of Key Hill do a great job:)but their resouces are limited.. people like Wendy and others who get involved need support and I mean from the bodies that could make a difference perhaps we could ask our local MP's if they could take a cut in wages to help Yeh right:) lol:)

I had to go to Warstone Cemetery today, so I thought that I would take a stroll down to Key Hill to see if I could find the grave.
As was mentioned above, the entrance in Icknield Street is being restored, so the only way in and out is through Key Hill itself - which is quite lucky as section B is up that end and I had forgotten to take the cemetery plan with me!
Anyway, I had a good look round section A and B and I'm sorry to report that grave B 193 is not visible. There are very few gravestones for this section, but grave B 207 has been recently unearthed. The attached photo was taken from the path and shows section B, with B 207 at the front of the graves. The grave you are looking for could well be one of the others in the photo - it certainly wouldn't be very far away.
None of the gravestones that are visible is for Maria Evans, but unfortunately those stones that are laid flat are lying inscription downwards and the grave number is not visible on the kerbstone.
I think that a plan of section B is required to progress further on this.

If I go to Handsworth Cemetery, I will ask them for a plan of the section and revisit section B

It is a shame as some graves in area B of the cemetery have been damaged by fallen trees, which happened a couple of years ago in high winds. I am sure there must have been other dammage earlier as well. It has recently come to light that some graves in the cemetery were actually buried. I think this was done in the 50's to make the cemetery easier to manage. I have just found out my second family grave at the cemetery is in fact buried. I have applied for permission to see if the stone is still in tact this will be done by the 'friends' and if it can be raised a stone mason will be called on. I am pleased as the inscription has been taken and I now have a copy. The other exciting thing is another buried headstone belongs to the Martineau family, who have been informed. I will keep you posted on developments.

... The other exciting thing is another buried headstone belongs to the Martineau family, who have been informed. I will keep you posted on developments ...

Hi Wendy! I'm a bit late coming upon this thread, but I noticed the reference to the Martineau family, which (as I'm sure you're aware) contributed no fewer than FIVE Mayors and Lord Mayors of Birmingham: Robert Martineau (1846-1847); Thomas Martineau (1884-1887); Ernest Martineau (1912-1914); Wilfrid Martineau (1940-1941); (Alan) Denis Martineau (1986-1987). I believe each one was the son of the preceding one.

I would be very interested to learn more about this recently discovered headstone, and about any other BHF threads discussing this family and its remarkable contribution to Birmingham civic history.

Hi Thylacine

I think I did put a photo on of the re instated Martineau grave but I can't find it. I will post the photo and details later today. I wrote a piece about Harriet Matineau as well so will sort out what I have.

Thanks, Wendy! In your own good time. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has trouble finding things on this vast Forum: I searched on "Martineau" and was swamped with posts about "Martineau Street"! ;)

Back