• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries Open Weekend

• Thread starter Thread starter Wendy
  • Start date Start date
W

Wendy

Here are some provisional details of this years Heritage Weekend.

September
Sat 11th and Sun 12th
On both days there will be hearses from the Co-op Funeral Soc, various stalls including Ted Rudge (Winson Green to Brookfields), Mac Joseph (Ladywood Past and Present) and BMSGH will be doing burial look-ups as they will have a generator to operate their computer. Carl Chinn archives should be on display thanks to Keith Klenton.
Saturday: Lord & Lady Mayoress will attend for a while, "self-guided" tours using leaflets, maps and marked graves of noted citizens.
Sunday: Horse-drawn hearse should make an appearance for a few hours. Also official guided tours Warstone Lane Cemetery (11-1pm) and Key Hill (2-4pm)."

im so looking forward to comming next weekend
and meeting all you lovely people
and all the history stands
fingers crossed for some good weather

celia

Just bringing this to the top to remind people that the open days at Key Hill are THIS WEEKEND.

Are any other Forum Members planning to attend on Saturday or Sunday?

Polly :)

I'm looking forward to the Open Weekend, health permitting.

The horse-drawn hearse is so "in keeping" with the surroundings.

So much hard work has been done by Brian Southwell and many colleagues to make the Cemeteries beautiful.

Thanks to you all,

Rosie.

All being well I will be at Key Hill tomorrow and hopefully Sunday aswell.
My Birmingham History Forum badge made by mike-g has arrived in the post this morning :)
I will be wearing it - so if you see me please come and say hello.

I hope the weather is good - I think Sunday looks like the better day weatherwise.

Polly :)

I was there today, Brian and Colin were (as usual) hard at work, and they both so very helpful (also as usual). I'm desparately trying to delay my visit to Somerset so that I can be there tomorrow.
Fingers crossed...and I might just speak to you Pol., if I see you there:D. I will also be wearing my badge.

I was there today, Brian and Colin were (as usual) hard at work, and they both so very helpful (also as usual). I'm desparately trying to delay my visit to Somerset so that I can be there tomorrow.
Fingers crossed...and I might just speak to you Pol., if I see you there:D. I will also be wearing my badge.

Hopefully I will see you there Charlie -I am not feeling well tonight - I have developed a sore throat and keep sneezing - my son has had it for a few days but I thought I had avoided it - he caught it off a girl at a party last weekend :rolleyes: I will be disappointed if I can not be there :(-am having an early night with a lem-sip.

Oh how I wish I could be down in dear Brum this weekend to attend but sadly I cant make it...sob. Hope you all have a great day xx

Get well soon Pollypops!
I went this morning, everyone is so friendly,I will try to go again tomorrow!!

i to spent the day at keyhill open day
and what a fantastic place it is
full of history and many interesting people buried there

everybody i spoke to today where really friendly and so helpfull
the stands were awsome well done guys with everything you needed to know about key hill and brums history
mind you i spent too much money again buying my books on brum history and joy of joys i found carl chinn's brummagem magazines so i had to get the two latest ones
as i cant get them in tamworth for love nor money

and to top it all the sun came out horay lol

once again guys well done youve all done a fantastic job in promoting this wonderfull little jem in brum keep up the good work
celia xxxx

ps if i didnt say hi to anybody im sorry i was to busy being in my happy place lol

Hi,
If anyone is going to Warstone Cemetery, is there any chance of looking up and taking a picture of a gravestone for me. I was going to come up this weekend, but I have not been able to get away. I do have one photograph already, which someone sent to me, but it is of low quality and I can't read the inscriptions on it. The name is Needle, I will appreciate your help.
Attached is the picture I have....might help in locating it.... thanks Humph

I don't think that I can go down today, but do you know the grave reference? If you do, I can call in later in the week. If not, might take a bit longer as I'll need to go to the library to find it.

In the meantime, here is my interpretation. I clicked on your attachement and used a screengrab package to see the details. ?? indicates I'm not sure!:
In Loving memory of
Emily Harriet
the beloved child of Emily and Harry Needle
who died June 21st 1887
Aged 4 years and 5 months
Also of the above named Harry Needle
who died January 7th 1901 (??)
Aged 59 years
"They will be done"
And of Percy Thomas
The beloved child of
Charles and Julia Humphreys
and grandson of the above who
died June 19th 1915 (??)
Aged 16 months
"On earth a hug (??), in heaven a flower"
Also of the above named
Emily Needle
who died Feb ?? 19??
Aged 62 years
"Forever with the Lord"​

Hope this helps..​

Thanks for you help. I don't know any reference, but will ask the person who sent me this photograph, if he has one. I also thank you for the inscription details. I want to use the photograph in a photoshow family history, so I want the inscription to be easily read on a TV screen, which one can't with the picture I have. I will get back to you if I can get further details or not.
Regards
Humph

Just loooked at this again and it looks to me as though the person who sent it to you got the image from https://warwickshire-info.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/warstone_lane_cemetery_birmingham_m_to_r.htm. The web page does say that you can contact the originator for a better image. This would be the first thing to try I think.
If you don't have the grave reference (which should take the form of a section letter + grave number), the best thing is to email Handsworth with one name and date from the stone. They will reply (though it may take a couple of weeks) with the grave reference and then I or someone else should be able to help.

Get well soon Pollypops!
I went this morning, everyone is so friendly,I will try to go again tomorrow!!
Thank you rosie. I am so glad you had a lovely time and I hope you managed to go again today :).
I am so upset that I have not been well enough to go this weekend - not only because I know how brilliant the open days are, but also because it was a kind of anniversary for me as it was at the open day last year that I found my family graves. Sadly the council had knocked over and broken one of the headstones and so I have saved up to have it repaired and put back up. The headstone was put back up last week and I was really looking forward to seeing it standing upright.
I also had gravel and plants to take to make it look cared for. I am hoping to go next weekend but I am upset to have missed helping with the open days and seeing everyone there.

I hope someone has taken photos
Polly

Just loooked at this again and it looks to me as though the person who sent it to you got the image from https://warwickshire-info.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/warstone_lane_cemetery_birmingham_m_to_r.htm. The web page does say that you can contact the originator for a better image. This would be the first thing to try I think.
If you don't have the grave reference (which should take the form of a section letter + grave number), the best thing is to email Handsworth with one name and date from the stone. They will reply (though it may take a couple of weeks) with the grave reference and then I or someone else should be able to help.
I did as you suggested and I was rewarded with a high res' picture of the headstone.... Thanks for your help

Regards
Humph

Thanks for that Wendy. I managed to get there for an hour or two on the Saturday, but was then going on to J.W.Allen Silversmiths in Albion Street. Thankfully the weather wasn't nearly as bad as forecast.

For those who wish to pop along - This years Heritage Open day for the Friends of Key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries will be SATURDAY only 10th September 10.00-16.00 in WARSTONE LANE Cemetery, just inside the Pitsford St entrance, clearly visible from Vyse St.
Attending should be BMSGH, BARRA, Keith Clenton (Carl Chinn's archivist), Mac Joseph (+appearance of Ted Rudge), Co-Op Funeral Services & Chloes munchbox catering van - back by popular request!

Please pop ain and say hello, before/after/instead of going to/from Aston Transport Museum.

Any Friends or Non Friends who wish to help out, sit and man a stall, or just chat to people and look at the display boards are also very very welcome!

hi bri hope your day is a great success...sorry i cant get there but as you know im over at amtm..tell you what..you show me your piccies and i will show you mine:D:D:D

lyn

Please look out for us on BBC local News at 6.30 tonight - just been filming a peice in Warstone Lane about our Open Day & WL in general!

many thanks to Kay Alexander who asked them to come and do us!

She is on the board of the Assaye Office and very involved with the Jewellery Quarter - Thanks Kay!

I watched the news - well done Brian! :) It was lovely to see the cemetery on TV - there were some great shots of the headstones. It was great publicity and I hope it encourages people to come along to the open day on Saturday:)

It just came on when th phone rang - someone wanting to come on a tour! - So I missed myself!
Wife hit the record button in time, but went out playing with my toy soldiers and haven't seen it yet - Have a look in the morning - may be too scary at this time of night now!

Back