• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kent's Hairdressers

Icarus

Ancient Brummie
I am researching the KENT hairdressing family and would appreciate a lookup in Kelly's commercial section for salon sitings and private section for residents with that name. I have already checked the 1908 & 1940 directories. From my research, it seems that the family were in this trade from the mid 1800's with shops in Aston, Digbeth and Sparkbrook.

Postie mentioned a KENT family in Imperial Road, Bordesley Green in the 1950/60's so it would be very helpful to know the householder if directories are available for this period.

Cheers.

Bert

In 1962 there was a V. Kent, hairdresser with shops at the following locations.

1482 Coventry Rd B'ham 25

338 Yardley Rd B'ham 25

109 Church Rd B'ham 25

Hope this helps.

THERE USED TO BE A KENTS HAIR DRESSING SHOP IN HOLLAND STREET SUTTON COLDFIELD, THERE IS STILL A SHOP BUT I DO NOT THINK ITS KENTS ANY MORE.

Thanks for the info, Postie. That's my Victor Kent. Great stuff! O0

Thanks, Aston. 8 Holland Street is still a Kent's salon I believe.

Icarus, a few weeks ago in The Birmingham Mail there was a write up on the Kents, I can't remember whether it was in a Saturday edition of "Those Were the Days". Or a news item - it was a full page, and only in the last month or so. Sorry I can't be more precise.

In 1962, there were 3 Victor Kents listed. O0

1) Victor A Kent, 79 Billesley Rd, B13

2) Victor F Kent, 46 Arden Oak Rd, B26

3)Victor F Kent, 69 Lindsworth Rd, B 30

Thanks for that, Sylvia. I've just done a search on the Post & Mail site but nothing is stored about the article.  :(  Might be worth a visit to the P & M for a look-up.

Cheers for the update, Postie. As yet, I'm not certain those two Kents were related.

Charles Kent 1868 to 1876 113 Steelhouse lane
Allen Kent 1878 to 1921 60 and 59 High street Bordesley
Allen Kent Darwin Street 1880
William Kent 242 Ladypool road 1900
Allen Kent Charles Henry street 1895
either Allen Kent had two shops or there was two Allen's ?
All from Kelly's directory's
any more info needed get it touch

HI ICARUS
I,ve Just Noticed You Are Tracing The Kents ,I Remember Afew Kents Shops
Around Brum In The Days Gone Bye , I Was Wondering Whether Or Not Do You Know Where The Kents Family Oringinate From, Around The 1800,S I Know Some one Said AstonBut Where Did They Really Oringinate From, Because In Those Days A Very Large Amount Of Bussiness Familys Came From Eversham And Prior To That Eversham Was Classed As Glocester shire And Alot Of There Fathers And Grand Father Came To Operate And Work In B,ham,And Still Kept There Other Homes In Eversham ,
And i Only Asking Because I Know Of A Kent Family WhomKept A Shop In Cow Honey bourne Which As Become A Listed Building There Now And It Was In A Special Edition Of The Millium Of Honey bourne Which You Can not Get Hold On For Love Nor Money
The Printer Whom Moved OntoThe Old Village AS Moved On And There Story And Pic Was In There I Met This Kents Family When I Was Six Years Old
Those This Guy Could Be The Ancesters , In The Tree ,

Back