• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Joseph Turner

fudge

proper brummie kid
Hello, I am researching an ancestor by the name of Joseph Turner, born in 1815 in Birmingham. He married Anne Evans in St. Martin's Church, Birmingham on December 23, 1833. Witnesses were Richard and Margaret Gill.

The last information I have of him is from the 1851 census. His family were living at 126 Barford Street, Birmingham. In 1841 he was employed as a brass founder, not sure about 1851 as my notes are a little sketchy. By 1861, his name is no longer on the census and his wife Anne, is working as a laundress. This is also the last information I have for her.

If anyone would be able to let me know anything else about them, that would be great.

thanks so much,

fudge

Is this him on the 1851 census?

Joseph TURNER Head M 36 M Brass Founder Birmingham----
Ann TURNER Wife M 34 F --- Birmingham----
Thomas TURNER Son - 16 M Brass Founder Birmingham----
James TURNER Son - 12 M Brass Founder Birmingham----
Eliza TURNER Daur - 10 F Scholar Birmingham----
Henry TURNER Son - 8 M Scholar Birmingham----
John TURNER Son - 6 M Scholar Birmingham----
George TURNER Son - 4 M Scholar Birmingham----
Ann TURNER Daur - 2 F --- Birmingham----
Address: 126 Barford St, ---
Census Place: Birmingham Birmingham, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2053 Folio: 241 Page: 19 FHL Film: 0087311

On the 1841 census the birthplace is not shown just born in the county and next to Joseph and Ann it says N but to the children Y
but in other census they says all born Birmingham
in 1861 next to Anns status there is nothing bit in 1871 widow.
1871 Bordesley Street.
Ann Turner age 54 with daughters Emma 19 Rosina 17 and Levenia 9.

I cannot find any birth for Levenia, Lavinia,or any spelling I could think of,was she a child that Ann had after Josephs death and never registered,

There's a death registered for an Ann Turner, Sep qtr 1877 Aston. She has the right age but Turner is a pretty common name so can't be sure it's her.

Mystery of Levenia/Lavinia solved?

Living with Ann turner in 1871 is her 29 year old daughter Eliza, she married John Beswick in 1864 he is not with her in 1871 nor 1881 when she is living in Coneybere Street status married and she has Lavinia Beswick with her as daughter, possibly her illegitemate child which she did not register..
A Lavinia Beswick married in 1881 to Thomas Stringer mis transcribed Leona Strenger in 1891 but as Lavinia stringer in 1901 in Clavendon Street with thomas and their 7 children.

Last edited:
Back