• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Joseph Lucas Works, Hockley.

Jackie Sandford

Does anybody know of the Joseph Lucas works of Great King Street, Hockley, Birmingham?.
I have some pictures dated 1939 & would like to know more.

Here is a link to Lucas history, with supporting documentation that you might find useful in your quest. http://www.lucasmemories.co.uk/site/GreatKingStreet/index.html

For those researching Joseph Lucas, there was also a factory on the corner of Cuckoo Road and Long Acre, just over the Cuckoo bridge as you rounded the corner right onto Long Acre, on the right side, opposite Black and Decker.

My mother in law and her family were born and raised a few doors away on Cuckoo Road. I used to take motor vehicle rotating electrical components (starters, generators and alternators) to the front counter at Lucas, for "while you wait rebuild services".

The school I attended, Marsh Hill Boys' Technical Grammar School in Hampton Road, off Slade Road at Stockland Green (1963-1968) benefited from the use of the Lucas Sportsfield on College Road.

Old Joe Lucas "Prince of Darkness" jokes abound here in North America, but Lucas was the English equivalent of Henry Ford and was appreciated.

Back