• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Joseph Jackson 1/7 Welch Fuseliers

• Thread starter Thread starter route66
  • Start date Start date
R

route66

Joseph Henry Jackson was born on the 18/02/1893 in Oldbury, near Birmingham. On his medal card it reads 1/7th Welch Reg, Private, regt No 627??, unable to read digits (if any) after 627. No medals on there by the looks of it just a reference, perhaps because he had been captured. I cant read the reference in the medal column, looks like 8WBLishat/26321/1.

Interned in Meiringen in Switzerland with 200 others until 1918 after escaping from Germany. Married Marthe Buser in Bern and Lausanne in a civil and church cermonies dates 01/08/1918 & 03/08/1918.

Any info on his military life would be very welcome

his british army ww1 pension records are on ancestry.

his number was 62742

it says he was enlisted on 6 dec 1915 and discharged on 22 nov 1918 being physically unfit. defective eyesight and no teeth :shocked:

there are 11 pages for him on this record.

Shera

you are magic, thanks a bunch, really appreciate that. Is it possible to get the details from Ancestry, good or bad.

Thanks

Keith

Used to live in his house for many years in Neasden Grove, Kingstanding. Not far from College Road. Born Aston Villa fan, used to play footy in perry Barr Park, my sister worked in the dairy down that way. In Bristol these days.

Keith

hi keith, im not sure whether you will be able to see all the records if i email it to you but i will try if you send me an private message with your email address :)

Hi Shera

made some progress with Joseph, is this on Ancestry?

Joseph Jackson at 33 Norman Street, Rotton Park Ward listed as L/Cpl 1st Bn R Welsh F reg number 10354 (just round corner from Heath Street where he later lived with Martha)
He arrived in France on 6 October 1914. Joseph was a POW from 30 October 1914.The 1st RWF were overwhelmed at Zandvoorde, Ypres at the end of October 1914 with only a handful of survivors

thanks

Keith

Back