• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John Harper.

• Thread starter Thread starter Nephrititi
  • Start date Start date
N

Nephrititi

I knew my g g grandparents were licenced victuallers - having found them running a pub in 1901 in Foleshill and then from the electoral rolls later running a pub in Aston - The Golden Lion.

Having subscribed to the 1911 census I found them living at 23 Aston Road - my g g grandfathers occupation is listed as "publican".

Does anyone know if there are any records to show that 23 Aston Road was a public house.

His name was John Harper.

Fay

These days it seems to be The Albion pub.....Don't know if that helps in anyway though!!

Kaz

The 1912 electoral roll lists 23 Aston Road as a dwelling house occupied by John Harper. 1920 and 1925 give no indication but, in 1930, that address is listed as The General Wolfe. By 1935, it had been renamed The Albion Hotel.

edit: It was The General Wolfe whilst your John Harper was there, as shown in Kelly's 1912.

GenWolfe.jpg

I knew my g g grandparents were licenced victuallers - having found them running a pub in 1901 in Foleshill and then from the electoral rolls later running a pub in Aston - The Golden Lion.

Having subscribed to the 1911 census I found them living at 23 Aston Road - my g g grandfathers occupation is listed as "publican".

Does anyone know if there are any records to show that 23 Aston Road was a public house.

His name was John Harper.

Fay

He was there in the 1912 directory he then may have gone to Clifton Rd sometime about 1916 he was there till about 1921? when Jack took over

Back