• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Joe Hillmans in Paradise Street

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
Once again I'm trampling over ground already expertly tendered by my heroine Lyn (and the usual suspects). How did I miss this gem? But may I redraw your attention to some fascinating stuff on the buildings previously occupied by the Post Office in Paradise Street? The Joe Hillman's photos were originally posted by Frothy, and I owe him one for not shouting at me for showing them again? The Whybrow thumb print is plain to see. The narrative is from Jo McKenna's Central Birmingham Pubs book. It is very edifying to me, a card carrying pub freak, to see that this Hostelry was nicely situated next door to Corbett's Temperance Hotel. Oh sweet irony! Our Joe sounds quite a star, perhaps he should have been on Britain's Got Talent....

So let the pictures speak...but don't forget to visit the diamond of a Thread below before you go. Cheers to everyone who contributes to my education on this great City of ours. I just love it.

https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=28440

Hi Dennis - that first photo in the first post is dated 1886 I believe, very early for a photo of this area. Rest of the details are great too, thanks for gathering and sharing. Do you have any details on Corbett's Temperance Hotel?

Last edited:
Hi Dennis - that first photo in the first post is dated 1886 I believe, very early for a photo of this area. Rest of the details are great too, thanks for gathering and sharing. Do you have any details on Corbett's Temperance Hotel?

Thank you Aidan, the early photo is culled from John Whybrow's masterpiece of the day 'How Does Your Birmingham Grow'. I am afraid I never frequent Temperance Hotels. I can't seem to get a decent pint... but I will research your man Corbett forthwith. Be back soon.

Back