• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jennings formerly of john st loughborough

Jacqsmyth66

Dear readers, I am trying to find a missing link as to why Edward John Jennings b 1817 and Eliza Parkinson b1819 m 1836 all saints, relocated in 1852 to Australia. We believe they were connected to all the Birmingham Jennings history. The 20th Earl of Suffolk used to visit the family often with funds and gifts. I believe Edwards parents may have been Thomas and Elizabeth both died circa 1852. Can anyone recommend direction? I am out from Australia researching on a family history quest for the missng links.

It's always difficult to know why our ancestors did what they did. The most obvious answer would be in search of a better life.

Appears to be listed as a boatman, so maybe thought there would something better elsewhere. What was his occupation in Australia? Also a gold rush began in Australia in 1851.

Can't see a baptism for Edward in Loughborough c1817 (not unusual for boatmen) but there are other baptisms in Loughborough, parents William & Mary. William was also a boatman and I see Edward's eldest daughter was named Mary and he had a son named William but no Thomas or Elizabeth.

I assumed it was, didn't notice he was in prison. Eliza and the children are in Loughborough, and I think it says Husband from Home next to Eliza.

Maybe then that had something to do with his emigration.

I assumed it was, didn't notice he was in prison. Eliza and the children are in Loughborough, and I think it says Husband from Home next to Eliza.

Maybe then that had something to do with his emigration.
I wondered if they decided on a fresh start.
According to the criminal register his crime was "larceny". Trial in Derby in March 1851

I couldn't see any baptisms for children of a Thomas & Elizabeth in Loughborough c1817 but I suppose what I said about boatmen in regards William could equally apply to Thomas.

There's a death for a Thomas Jennings (b1773) in Loughborough 1848, and an Elizabeth (b1774) in 1857. She is listed as a lodger of a Robert Draper (also a boatman) in 1851, who appears to be her son in law.

Report of the trial -
Derbyshire Courier - Saturday 22 March 1851 clip #1.JPG

Attachments

• Derbyshire Courier - Saturday 22 March 1851 clip #5.JPG
    Derbyshire Courier - Saturday 22 March 1851 clip #5.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Derbyshire Courier - Saturday 22 March 1851 clip #4.JPG
    Derbyshire Courier - Saturday 22 March 1851 clip #4.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Derbyshire Courier - Saturday 22 March 1851 clip #3.JPG
    Derbyshire Courier - Saturday 22 March 1851 clip #3.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 2
  • Derbyshire Courier - Saturday 22 March 1851 clip #2.JPG
    Derbyshire Courier - Saturday 22 March 1851 clip #2.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 2
The Loughborough baptisms are online but as mentioned there does not seem to be one for Edward. He could have been baptised somewhere else but I can't see one locally.

If you assume that his parents are the Thomas and Elizabeth Jennings living on Meadow Lane, Loughborough in 1841 then their deaths (as mentioned) would correspond with Edward's info on the Assisted Passenger List.

However, this doesn't help to take it further because there's no certainty that Thomas was born in Loughborough and there doesn't appear to be a baptism for him if he was. And though Elizabeth's birthplace in 1851 is listed as Loughborough, there doesn't seem to be local marriage for Thomas and Elizabeth.

Also there doesn't appear to be a baptism for Edward's possible sister, Elizabeth, who married Robert Draper.

Back