• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Jamaica Row.

chocks2

master brummie
Back in the early 70's I had to catch a coach to Portsmouth every sunday night. The pick up point was Jamaica Row. Now all I can remember was that even back then there was not much left of the Row. Can anyone tell me anything about Jamaica Row or are there any pictures? Was there any connection with Jamaica such as sugar,rum or even the slave trade? Was it just part of the old market? I realy can't remember anything about it.

Origin of Jamaica Row. Len. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The new Bullring in Birmingham boasts more than 140 shops and kiosks - including an iconic Selfridges store.
[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Other old names to reappear will be 'Jamaica Row' and 'Spiceal Street', which first appeared on plans from 1795.

Jamaica Row is believed to have derived from a pub called the Black Boy after King Charles II, who was dark-skinned. It will now be used for a new pedestrian route between the new St Martin's Market and the Open Market.
[/FONT]

Mike. Thanks for the link. Thats not quite how I remember it but great to see anyway.
Len. Cheers for the info

Back