• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Isaac Salt, 18 Worcester Street

Tinpot

master brummie
Interesting Trade Card. I have no date. I wonder how big the Kettle really was?
Also raised the question for me about the meaning of the word ’warehouse’. In the illustration it looks like what I would now recognise as a shop?

Attachments

• IMG_0514.jpeg
    IMG_0514.jpeg
    486.7 KB · Views: 21
Isaac Salt is listed in worcester Street (no number) on the 1832 equivalent of the erolls.

1839 trade directory
1692814911188.png

I have seen the term used for what was actually shop in several instances in the late 1800s

I have seen the term used for what was actually shop in several instances in the late 1800s
I have also found the use of ‘Birmingham and Sheffield Warehouse’ which seems to have been across the country. These examples are all ironmongers.The first is in Abingdon.

Attachments

• IMG_0511.jpeg
    IMG_0511.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0512.jpeg
    IMG_0512.jpeg
    575.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0513.jpeg
    IMG_0513.jpeg
    570.1 KB · Views: 8
I wonder if the warehouse description comes from the fact they not only supplied ironmongery goods but also used to supply the iron masters with the metal to produce the goods which they then sold.

Good article here on iron mongers and and iron masters

I wonder if the warehouse description comes from the fact they not only supplied ironmongery goods but also used to supply the iron masters with the metal to produce the goods which they then sold.

Good article here on iron mongers and and iron masters

Thanks Janet. The article is a very interesting read and insight into the varying manufacturing structures. Tinpot

Back