• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Is this of interest? (old map of Birmingham)

• Thread starter Thread starter Tid
  • Start date Start date
T

Tid

For years I've had an old framed print of a Birmingham map dated 1731. It has the following details :

TITLE
The PLAN of BIRMINGHAM Survey'd in the Year 1731

DEDICATION
To The Honourable Edwd. Digby & Willm. Peyto Esqrs Members of Parliament for the County of Warwick this Plate is humbly Dedicated by their most obedt. humble servt. W.Westley

FOOTNOTES
In the Year 1700 Birmingham Contained 30 Streets 100 Courts and Alleys 2504 Houses 15032 Inhabitants one Church dedicated to St. Martin & a Chappel to St. John & a School founded by Edward 6th also 2 Dissenting Meeting Houses

the Increase of this Town from 1700 to ye. Year 1731 is as follows 25 Streets 50 Courts & Alleys 1252 Houses 8254 Inhabitants together with a new Church, Charity School, Market Cross, & 2 Meeting Houses. for a further account see ye. prospects

CRESTS
Honle. Ed Digby Esq
Wm. Peyto Esq

The map extends from 'Deretend' in the bottom left corner, Smallbrook Street at the top, 'White Hall or Steelhouse Lane' to the right (with a few streets beyond). Interestingly, the map shows St Philips and the green, plus Colmore Row (not called that), New Street, Needless Alley, Temple Street, Pinfold Street, Bull Street and Moor Street. There is also a Broad Street, but on this map it links the High Street (here called Beast Market) to Dale End.

The map has a strange orientation. New Street from bottom to top should run from East to West, but on the map it appears to run from Southwest to Northeast.

Sadly, the frame prevents me from scanning the map so I can upload it here. However, I'm sure this map may already be known to some members here?

Just when I need to be focusing on my "awkward squad" you provide this fascinating link, Mike. What a distraction! There are a few maps there that I would like & most are attractive too. Thanks - I think.

Back