• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Inquest details

Del-boy

knowlegable brummie
Can anyone point me in the right direction for obtaining details about an inquest into a relatives death? The relative in question, a Sarah Hill, according to the death certificate, was a patient at Selly Oak Infirmary. It was whilst she was a patient there that she died, on 8 October 1919. Because of the fact that she died as a result of falling from a window whilst trying to get away from the institution (clearly she was having some sort of mental breakdown), an inquest was held on 11 October 1919.

I rather assumed that in view of the findings of the inquest, about the cause of death, that this may have attracted newspaper coverage. I have therefore searched the newspaper records held on Find My Past using the relatives name, her husbands name (Edwin Hill), the name of the Deputy Coroner for North Worcestershire, Arthur H. Hebbert, the date of the inquest, plus other details that appear on the certificate but to no avail.

Can anyone please, please, suggest where else to look? Thanks for looking

Birmingham library hold Birmingham inquest records but these are not online.
I am waiting to go in to view a record.
I emailed to confirm they had the record. Will have to order it and make an appointment to view.
If it is Worcestershire then you might need to contact Worcester archives.
A search at the National Archives might tell you where they are held.

"We have some records for inquests, deposited by the Coroner, going back to the early 1930s. Please note that for ones in the last 75 years they are ‘closed’, and can’t be accessed without written permission of the Coroner.

Thank you so much for trying to help. I have contacted both Birmingham Library Archive service and Worcester Archive service to see if I can obtain further information. I will let you know if I trace anything. Best wishes

Strange that Sarah's death does not get a mention. Deputy coroner Hebbert dealt with another death which occurred on the same day as Sarah's death on the 11th October.

Is it from the death certificate that the Inquest details were found ?
Yes the details quoted are from the death certificate. I have now heard back from Birmingham & Worcester Archives and both state that they don't have the inquest details, so that's a shame. The fact that the death occurred at Selly Oak Infirmary, makes me wonder if this was part of the Workhouse as I've come across that description before?

Strange that Sarah's death does not get a mention. Deputy coroner Hebbert dealt with another death which occurred on the same day as Sarah's death on the 11th October.
Where did you find out that information about another death that occurred on the same day as Sarah's death? Sarah's death was on 8 October 1919. Thanks

There are newspaper reports that on the night of Wednesday 8th October, same day as Sarah's death, Hebbert opened an Inquiry at Redditch
on an unrelated case. He could well have travelled to Redditch after being at Selly Oak.
Actually he probably would have been at the Birmingham Law Courts as he is reported in cases conducted from there.

Yes the details quoted are from the death certificate. I have now heard back from Birmingham & Worcester Archives and both state that they don't have the inquest details, so that's a shame. The fact that the death occurred at Selly Oak Infirmary, makes me wonder if this was part of the Workhouse as I've come across that description before?
It would be attached to the workhouse but people could be in the infirmary without having been in the workhouse. It was a sort of hospital for the poor.

Last edited:
Back