• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Illegible address!

jukebox

Engineer Brummie
I have a letter from my grandfather dated 27 June 1919. His address is given as:

138 Heavy Bty R Ga
B I in France

I know he was in the Royal Garrison Artillery so presumably the first line is 138 Battery Royal Garrison.
Could anyone help with the second line?

I have a letter from my grandfather dated 27 June 1919. His address is given as:

138 Heavy Bty R Ga
B I in France

I know he was in the Royal Garrison Artillery so presumably the first line is 138 Battery Royal Garrison.
Could anyone help with the second line?

You're right Jukebox.
"RGa" is obviously RGA
I would suggest that "B I France" is somebody's shorthand for Based in France.

Thanks for your suggestion Baz. However there is already an 'in' there so that would read Based in in France.

1383832495940ed1810943969261288c1dc2f36aa6aeb-mediumoriginalaspectdouble.jpg

[h=4]Section C, 138 Heavy Battery: the Hampstead Heavies[/h]This is a photo of the group of men who served a single heavy gun (a 60-pounder) in the 138th Heavy Battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery, taken in London before they sailed for the front in April 1916. The battery stayed in France until demobilized in 1919.

Back