• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

If only houses could talk - a sad tale of WW1

Promenade

proper brummie kid
One of the many strengths of the Birmingham History Forum is the amazing number of images of old Birmingham. It was while trawling through these that I came across this entry for Cecil Street. See

Birmingham Cecil St 17_House.jpg

Being the custodian of the WW1 database for the Worcestershire Regiment I wondered whether there were any hits on this street in any of the database records. This is what I found.

In 1918 or 1919 a 54-year-old widow, Emily Elizabeth Collins, moved into number 17 Cecil Street which I believe to be the house with the boarded-up windows in the photo in post 23. She must have been at the lowest point in her life.

Emily was born in Birmingham in about 1864 and about 1886 married Henry Collins – according to the 1911 census five of the couple’s six children had survived, Thomas Henry (b. 1889), Frederick (1890), Harry (b. 1895), Mary (b. 1896) and John (b. 1904).

The middle child, Harry Collins, was born on 5 August 1895 in Aston Road, Birmingham and was baptised a few days later in St Lawrence’s Church in the city. According to census returns the family was living at 7 back 33, Tower Street, Birmingham in 1901 and in 1911 at 12 House 2 Court, Bagot Street when Harry was working as a chemical worker in a dry soap factory. It is not known where the family was living between 1911 and 1918.

In about May 1914 Harry enlisted in the Army, in Birmingham, as a regular soldier and was posted to the Worcestershire Regiment as Private No 8855. When war broke out on 4 August 1914 he was still under training and did not cross to France with the original contingent of his Battalion. Harry eventually crossed to France on 2 November 1914 as part of a reinforcement draft for the 3rd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment. He survived a number of significant engagements but was killed in action in the Arras sector on 28 April 1916 aged 21. His remains were never found and identified and he is commemorated on the Arras Memorial in France.

The Regimental History of the Worcestershire Regiment takes up the story of what happened on 28 April 1916: - “The front line ran across a wilderness of mine craters and both sides were working feverishly on the construction of fresh mines. Shell-fire was incessant. On the first day there were several casualties (1 killed, 5 wounded) including the Medical Officer of the Battalion. That evening a minor enterprise carried out by two officers of the Regiment, Major A. C. Johnston (then Brigade Major) and Captain G. S. Briscoe, succeeded in establishing a post on the near lip of 'Broadmarsh Crater' a point previously unreached. The following day (April 28th) was broken only by sniping and bombing around the new post. Nothing much occurred until darkness fell. Then, at about 7.30 p.m. a terrific explosion shook the ground. A huge mine had been exploded by the enemy under the parapet near the left flank of the Battalion's line. A storm of firing followed as the enemy attacked. The new post at "Broad-marsh Crater" was overwhelmed, but around the fresh crater formed by the explosion the bombers of the 3rd Worcestershire fought stubbornly. The defence was inspired by 2/Lieut. J. D. W. McMichael and by Captain T. P. Muspratt who, although severely wounded, refused to leave his company, and continued in command during four hours of heavy fighting until the danger had passed. Captain Muspratt was awarded the M.C. [Military Cross] and Pte. A. G. Boothman, who showed great bravery in this fight, was awarded the D.C.M [Distinguished Conduct Medal]. The enemy seized the crater but their further advance was checked. Casualties, 3rd Worcestershire - 6 killed, 14 missing believed killed, one officer (Captain T. P. Muspratt) and 47 men wounded.”

Harry’s entry in the Arras Memorial Register reads: - “COLLINS, Private, HARRY, 8855. 3rd Bn. Worcestershire Regt. 28 April 1916. Age 21. Son of Mrs. Emily Elizabeth Collins, of 17, Cecil St., Newtown Row, Birmingham. His brothers Frederick and Thomas Henry also fell.”

His brother Frederick Collins had been killed in action on 1 April 1916 (four weeks before Harry) whilst serving with The Rifle Brigade and the eldest brother Thomas lost his life in Belgium on 25 April 1918 while serving with The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). Thomas is the only one to have a known grave. Emily’s grief was not constrained to the loss of her three sons but also by the loss of her husband who died in late 1916/early 1917 at the age of 53.

In the 1939 Register Emily Collins was living with her married daughter, Mary Jackson, at 5 Blew Street, Birmingham. Emily lived to a ripe old age, dying in 1955 at the age of 92. However, it was a two-year period of her life between 1916 and 1918 that was to prove so traumatic.

I would be interested to know if anyone is able to find out more about the family or indeed correct my genealogical blunderings. I have looked at the Birmingham newspapers on the British Newspaper Archive and also searched the internet for any mention of the brothers being commemorated on a war memorial – unfortunately I drew a blank on both. The icing on the cake would be to uncover a photo of Harry.

how folk ever got through the awful trauma and losses of ww1 and ww2 i will never know..i have always had the utmost respect for those who lost their lives and for those left behind...hopefully some of our members can add to your info promenade it certainly is a very sad story but sadly just one of many

lyn

Whilst I cannot help in answer to your question about Harry, I can draw attention to a quite rare car in the picture, if that is in order.

EYP, the convertible nearest the camera is a July 1938 Ford Ten tourer, type 7W. Only about 1600 were built, compared with over 20,000 of the saloon version, and as there is a post 1953 Ford Anglia in the picture, this old car was a rare survivor. The registration indicates that the car started life in London.
The van is also a Ford, and would have had a similar 1172cc engine to that in the convertible.

My Dad was in the RAF in WW2, serving in Egypt for about four years. His best pal John, whose name passed on to me, was shot down and lost his life, and my Mum’s eldest brother, a medical orderly serving in the Navy, also lost his life in WW2, but due to typhoid fever. Dad came back, but was never quite the same after his service.

There must have been very few families who did not lose someone close.

Last edited:
John Henry Collins and his 2 sons, Thomas Henry and Frederick were all window cleaners.

Thomas Henry & Frederick were both married by 1911 and had children. So hopefully she has grandchildren to brighten her days.

H Collins Worcestershire reg
T H Collins Scottish Rifles
Are both in the memorial books at the Hall of Memory.
Not sure about Frederick as I didn't find an entry for Rifle Brigade.

In WW1, multiple deaths in families seems not uncommon. I've just completed doing a potted history of the now lost cast bronze WW1 memorial for the first Punshon Memorial Wesleyan Methodist Church in Bournemouth. The church was bombed in WW2 and subsequently demolished, and a replacement church built on another site in the town. This in turn was demolished a few months ago to build yet another apartment block with shops on the ground floor. If you think Birmingham is bad for demolishing its historical buildings, Bournemouth in ten times worse. All my children were christened at the new church and the late organist was also a friend. But to get back to my point.....

Fortunately, the first forenames and surnames from the missing memorial were recorded with the Imperial War Museum, and there were nine names, one of them being a female South African staff nurse, who died from meningitis shortly after her arrival in France. Of the remaining eight men, two also lost brothers in that conflict - 25%. I haven't seen comparable figures for WW2, but with smaller families by then, I would imagine that they were a lot lower. Incidentally, when in 2014 the Book of Remembrance at Bournemouth Town Hall was examined to ascertain any missing names, over 500 names with a connection to the town were found to be missing and have since been added.

Maurice :cool:

Frederick Collins married Maria Ridding and had 4 children, 2 died young in 1912. Maria went on to marry a William Hinsley and appears to have had 7 more children. on 1939 register she is living 1/16 Cecil St. Frederick Collins, son of Frederick is there also.

Firstly many thanks to all who have taken the time and trouble to find more about the Collins Family and what happened to them after the war.
The release of the Western Front Association Pension Records on Fold3 had significantly increased the awareness of brothers who lost their lives in the Great War.
In Liverpool Town Hall there is a WW1 Roll of Honour which is notoriously inaccurate and incomplete - although I am aware of the Birmingham Hall of Memory I have no knowledge as to how accurate the memorial books are - does anyone know?

It is possible that John & Emily's son registered as John was actually John Henry because there is a John H Collins living next door to Emily at 3 Blews St in 1939.

If not, a strange coincidence.

Back