• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Icknield Port Road

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
nice one this....

farmer palmers barbers shop at 156 ickneild port road round about 1911

lyn

In 1901 he was living at 11, Summer Road, Yardley (Worcs), Acocks Green

Farmer Palmer head age 33 hairdresser
Minnie Palmer wife age 32
Lilian Palmer dau age 2

In 1911 he was living at 10 Summer Road Acocks Green

Farmer Palmer head age 43 Insurance superintendant
Minnie Palmer wife age 42
Lilian May Palmer dau age 12

He must have got fed up of being a barber then.

Terry

And just to add, here is where he was living in 1901

11 Summer Rd, Acocks Green.

Terry

What a brilliant thread started by just one photo. Well done Lyn and Terry. Insurance Superintendent sounds a bit grand doesn't it!

And also, it looks like his daughter Lilian May got married in 1921 to a Albert Parker. (not definate on that though)

Also the shop was established in 1886 so that would make him only about 18 or 19. Unless the shop was started by someone else, father maybe?

In 1891 he was living at 156, Icknield Port Road, Birmingham
Terry

Last edited:
Great photo Lyn. I find it interesting that the sign says No business done on Sundays - did anyone do business on Sundays in 1911? I wonder why it was necessary to say that.
Polly

hi polly...yes i thought that...i always thought that in those days virtually everwhere was closed on sundays...

lyn

For some reason Kellys put Farmer Palmer's home address as 10 ( not 11) Summer Lane. Anyway he remained there till 1937, then moving to 474 Fox Hollies Road, where he remained till sometime between 1940 and 1943.
Despite listing himself as an insurance superintendent, the Icknield road business carried his name until at least 1921, though by 1932 it was Thomas Waters Kirby, hairdresser.
Mike

For some reason Kellys put Farmer Palmer's home address as 10 ( not 11) Summer Lane. Anyway he remained there till 1937, then moving to 474 Fox Hollies Road, where he remained till sometime between 1940 and 1943.
Despite listing himself as an insurance superintendent, the Icknield road business carried his name until at least 1921, though by 1932 it was Thomas Waters Kirby, hairdresser.
Mike

Hi Mike. The only reason I looked him up in the first place was because of his unusual first name. I have done a general search on all the census and on Freebmd and only 1 Farmer Palmer came up. Interestingly, A Farmer Palmer married a Mary J Hands in 1913, so I wonder if his first wife had died and he remarried. Also I wonder if Kelly's made a mistake? And thinking about it, how easy would it have been to get to his shop from Acocks Green in 1901? His shop would be not far from Edgebaston reservoir somewhere on the corner of I.P.Rd and Gillot Rd.

Terry

Last edited:
hi all...there is an article that came with the photo...i will look later on and see if says anything else about farmer palmers life and get back to you...

lyn

Hi terry
I’m sure one of the transport experts can tell us what routes were available to get to the shop. The trams 44 and 91 seem to have gone to Acocks green from town, but whether they were running then I don’t know. As to errors in Kellys, this is very possible. Entry for one year in the commercial names list for Farmer Palmer gives the address as no 1 summer lane, thought he is listed as no 11 in the street list for the same year. It is very common for, in the street lists, the north side to be listed as south or the east as west !! For that reason I always (well usually actually) try and check where possible. However he does seem to be listed (other than that one occasion I mention) as no 10. I don’t know what the truth is.
Mike

Looking at google earth again shows him living right by where Acocks Green bus depot used to be, whether it was there then I don't know. Also he lived just a few hundred yards from Spring Rd railway station. No, I never heard of it either. He probably got to town quicker than what we do today.

Terry

Spring Rd railway station was well used by workers at the Joseph Lucas factory, Spring Rd was the rear entrance to the Shaftmoor Rd factory, Acock Green Bus garage is still in use, i think it was opened in 1928. Len.

Last edited:
Terry
Spring Road station was opened in 1908. Certainly on the 1902-1911 map there is no bus depot shown. I attach the relevant part. The blank curve going down the map is where the railway is going (obviously they didn’t update that bit to 1912). The red house is , I think no 11.

fox_hollies_rd_1911_map.jpg

hi all...sorry the article that came with the pic of farmer palmers shop was about other barbers so im afraid i have no more info on him...

lyn

I was bought up in that area, if you look at Terry's photo of no11 Summer road i would say those houses would be new at the time of Mikes map. The triangle shape with the letter E in the middle Shows that no houses were built on the one side of Summer rd or on the one side of Fox Hollies road Pretty much the same as it is today. I know there is a petrol garage at the top of the triangle but that wasnt built untill the 50s, and there was also the fox hollies pub. now a supermarket .At the time Farmer Palmer (great name) moved into Fox Hollies road it would have been a well to do area.

Robert
The road , and the houses first appear in kellys in 1897 (the road not being listed with houses in 1896, though it is lsited as a road in the beginning of the directory)
mike

I have been in 1 or 2 of those in the 50s i recall they were quite big inside. the last time i went past there they were in a sad state.

HI Terry
qiute correct the corner of icknield port rd and summerfield crescent which if you
went up the summerfield crescent it intertwines with gillot rd i remember seeing the old flag pole for years out side that empty property
on the opersite side to him was a small grocery shop which later in years became a post office
and next to them there was old stan a friend of mine whom his still alive and kicking
and now lives in bearwood was the cobbler for many donkey years
stan retired from the shop back in the eighties through lack of trade and to look after is poor sick wife barbara
whom is suffering with the altime deceas the shop is still standing delect i often pass it from time to time and occasionionaly see barb ; and stan they are both really remarkabe for there ages
best wishes Astonian ;;

hi all...sorry the article that came with the pic of farmer palmers shop was about other barbers so im afraid i have no more info on him...

lyn
Hi
Falmer Palmer was my mother’s grandfather.
Her mother was Lillian May Palmer.
My Mom was Wendy - and she ran the hairdressers Wendy’s that was situated in Colmore Row. Early 1960s.

Back