• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hurst Lane, Castle Bromwich

K

katharineo

Hiya Brummies!!

I'm lucky enough to have lived in France for the last 25+ years. But way back in the late 1950's I lived - very briefly - with my Grandparents at Hurst Lane, Castle Bromwich.

Well, anyway, a few years back I went to look the old place up as my Grandfather (who's house it had been had recently died and I wanted to take a pic of the old place). I got there. And found that it had gone. There is now a supermarket there! It was Safeways I think but it is now Morrisons.

So now I'm left with a few questions and I hope some on here may be able to help me.

i. Does anyone know when this supermarket was built?
ii. Sadly I have no photos of my old home. :( (You have to remember that this was in the days where a box brownie was the norm and not everyone had a camera or thought of taking pics). Does anyone have any old photos of the houses that used to be there? (Dont mind the quality. It'd just be lovely to see the old place again).

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Kate

Kate, I think Safeways was built in the late 1980s or early 1990's (before 1992), I worked for Consulting Engineers and they were involved in the design of Safeways I left in 1992 so know it was between 1987 and 1992. I would never shop in Safeways on principle as I thought it was a sin to demolish good quality houses for a supermarket, sorry I have no photos.

Hi Kath we have a member Gillian Atkins who was born in Hurst Lane. send her an IM she may have a photo.

Hi Kath, I have'nt any pictures of the house you want but I have attached one of the shops that were very close to it. Safeway may have even bought them out.

Terry

Thanks Lyn. Thanks Terry.

I cant place that shop but I wonder - was it on Hurst Lane itself? I get the feeling it may have been. Although it was more likely on the Chester Road....

It was in Hurst Lane on the right hand side just before the Chester Rd. I vaguely remember the houses/bungalows in question, well Days was just before those. Days is where we use to go to get our maggots for fishing when we were kids. Then when I was a bit older and driving there was a car repairer behind them and that was where I used to take my car for repairs if I could'nt do it myself.

Terry

Attachments

• newdays.jpg
    newdays.jpg
    669.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
hi, thanks for that, link. i've had a look but not been able to find anything yet... i'll keep trying though!

It was in Hurst Lane on the right hand side just before the Chester Rd. I vaguely remember the houses/bungalows in question, well Days was just before those. Days is where we use to go to get our maggots for fishing when we were kids. Then when I was a bit older and driving there was a car repairer behind them and that was where I used to take my car for repairs if I could'nt do it myself.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I think this is the same place where the Provident used to have an office

Kind regards

Dave

Quite possibly Dave, I think it has been various things over time. Looking on Google Earth I am convinced that Days is where the Hurst Lane entrance to Morrisons is now.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Yes it is, and Morrisons have recently extended their car park to the right of
the supermarket itself. Not sure though whether the houses to the right of
the entrance have gone though, or whether it's just the land behind.

Kind regards

Dave

Terry,

If Days was where the Hurst Lane entrance to Morrisons now is, that means my Grandad's house was to the left in the picture... a little bit further towards Chester Road.

Sadly, it's not the black and white bungalow but, I think, would have been the next house after that!

I wonder if there are any more images of Days which might show it?

Kate

Hi terry, Do you remember the name of the garage or any persons working there.One of our neighboghs worked there and we just cant remember his name we can only remember the son was called ian.

Hi Terry,

Yes it is, and Morrisons have recently extended their car park to the right of
the supermarket itself. Not sure though whether the houses to the right of
the entrance have gone though, or whether it's just the land behind.

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Dave. Went up there Friday and had a look and yes all the land inside the black line on the image is now car park, so yes the houses have gone.

Terry

Last edited:
Hi terry, Do you remember the name of the garage or any persons working there.One of our neighboghs worked there and we just cant remember his name we can only remember the son was called ian.

Sorry Casey, I dont remember, all I know is that he was a one man business though he may have had some help. The reason I went to him was because he was good and I trusted him.

Terry

Hi Dave. Went up there Friday and had a look and yes all the land inside the black line on the image is now car park, so yes the houses have gone.

Terry

Hi Terry,

I also visited Morrisons on Friday, andf the 'old' car park
was so packed that I went to the new section for the first time.
As you say, the houses there have also gone.
My wife Sheila told me that a friend of hers used to live in one
of the houses, and she held out for a very good settlement from
Morrisons. She must have liked the area, though, as she then
bought a bungalow further down the road!

Kind regards

Dave

Hi Kate,
Have you looked in any by-gone birmingham books.I have seen a picture in one of them when we had a very bad winter many years ago,but im almost sure ive seen a picture of the top of hurst lane when the old out-door had gone and new businesses started to open.I was thinking if the photo was wide enough you may just see them.When im next in a good book shop or library i will have look for you.

Hi Casey
That sounds promising. Thankyou! I'll have to get around to having a look at some of those. (Not easy to come by down here unfortunately).
Kate

Casey
Don't know the area, but is this the photo? Have increased the contrast a bit after scanning. Doesn't seem to show much though.
mike

hurst_lane.jpg

That's a great picture, Mike.

Sadly not the right house for me.. :(

I think what you can see on that picture is the construction in the early 1950's of the flats on Hurst Lane. The houses (even numbered and on the opposite side of the road) were there before the flats.

kate

Hi Gill

Havent heard from you for a while hope you ok.I viewed the web link you posted on forum.Ah some memories there.
Did you pick up thread from someone on forum to do with lil swinbourne.

Carole

Hello Terry,
My "better half", Jackie, was born in Hurst Lane and her father worked as a driver at Taskers Yard where Morrisons car park is.
The garage was called "Weavers" and was owned by a Mr George Weaver, who was a good friend of Jackies father.
Pete

I used to live in Packington Avenue and remember Hurst Lane very well,most of the land taken up to build Safeways was a steel yard owned by Taskers they also lived in Packington Avenue.The garage on Chester Road was owned by George Weaver.Does anyone remember the Rob Roy club .

Back